Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting some ribes

Posted by flowerchild59 z6b IL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 17:27

I placed an order with Whitman Farms for 3 currants, Titania, Rovada and Primus. And gooseberries black velvet, Invicta, Poorman and Hinomaki red and yellow. I am so excited. I plan to add to the ribes next year. There were so many that sounded good and I have plenty of room. Any one have some favorites?
My shoe in the pic is a size 7 in women's to give you perspective. Nice plants and nice roots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting some ribes

I like White Imperial a little better than Primus. Rovada is a good one. I heard Titania is good too. Another red I like is Jonkheer Von Tets. I have some old school reds, London Market and Laxton's No 1. I have some others at my cottage, but it's a tough environment there. i'm going to try some blacks up there that can tolerate shade better. The reds are barely hanging on.

o

Flowerchild... Those are some great looking plants. Very sturdy looking. I'll be quite pleased if the plants that I get from Nourse Farms look that good.

We still have frost in the ground and ice on our lakes. My order won't arrive until the week of May 5th. Rovada current and Texia gooseberry are the varieties that I'll be planting this year. I'm just getting started with the ribes.

o

It killed me but I pruned them when I planted them. Lucile has a good video on her website too about pruning a gooseberry.

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 19:53

When you pruned them, did you stick the part you cut off in the ground? Gooseberries and currants both grow pretty well from cuttings, so it is worth it if you have the space...I had some space open up (which was non-ideal for trees) this year and planted some of my prunings. Most are leafing out now.

My favorite gooseberries are Jeanne and Hinomaki Yellow. Both grow very weakly though, so the more bushes of each you have, the better. Rovada makes nice big berries and Pink Champagne is pretty tasty. I don't have a strong preference between Primus and White Imperial, but the birds tend to ignore both, which is nice.

o

Good idea about the cuttings. I just threw some away, i should have planted them. I'm making a cordon, well two of them. I have the main cane going up the fence. one is halfway, the other is almost at the top. Both plants i keep a 2nd cane short for backup. As I heard sometimes the cordon dies. I recenltly cut the backup down a touch. Next time I'll keep the cuttings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here