Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scuzzynutty_gw

Strawberry Guava flowers a lot but no fruit

scuzzynutty
9 years ago

I have a few strawberry guava plants in the ground in our backyard. They were there when we bought the house 7 years ago. I only recently found out that it was a strawberry guava tree. It produces those nice pinkish red blossoms, but I have never seen any turn into fruit? They were planted in a shady area, that receives barely any sun, not sure if that's why. Has tons of blossoms, just never fruit. Any one have any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Comments (17)

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Do they set fruit and fall off (June drop) prematurely? Or is there no fruit once the flowers drop?

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

My strawberry guava has same white flowers/leaves as lemon guava. Only difference is fruit. You sure it isn't a true guava or something else?

• scuzzynutty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm pretty sure is strawberry guava, the blossoms look the same. I've attached a picture.

No fruit ever sets, there's like 5 trees outside with over 100 blossoms, they look nice. They just blossom and then later the flowers drop and that's it. I've never seen fruit on any of the trees.

• cyh527
    9 years ago

Do you have enough pollinators in your garden?

• cyh527
    9 years ago

Try using a brush and brush through all the flowers.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

Take a small paintbrush,about 1-3 inches across or use your fingers and move the pollen around from plant to plant.I believe in their native habitat,there is a bird that pollinates the Pineapple Guava.That is in South America,probable not Southern California. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand Pollinating my Pineapple Guava Tree with a Paint Brush

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

This plant is considered a flowering shrub in very warm or hot climates, they do not fruit reliably or at all in those places.

If you are right on the coast or in a fog belt, there would be a chance. Try keeping the shrubs thoroughly watered all during bloom phase and for about a month after petal drop.

If still no fruit, you may have to settle for eating the flower petals, they are very tasty. (this does not prevent fruit set)

For research, use pineapple guava, feijoa sellowiana or acca sellowiana or just plain feijoa.

The paint brush method is also worth a try, but if there has never been a single fruit in several years of blooms, it may not help.

There is commercial fruit production in coastal northern California, and my plant in Portland OR is very productive, Seattle is too cool, blooms but very little fruit up there.

This post was edited by larry_gene on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 23:09

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Could you have missed the fruit thinking they were leaves when they fell on the ground? They do look rather similar. My dad used to tell people to taste the flowers as they were sweet too. They seem to prefer sunny locations. FYI if you need to hard prune them, they come right back.

• scuzzynutty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for clarifying that it is a pineapple guava..

We didn't miss the fruit, I looked up the picture and we've never seen anything like that.

I will try the paint brush method tomorrow.

Can you eat the flower pedals just raw, do you eat the entire thing (i.e., pedals and the red things sticking out - whatever you call those) or do you just pick the pedals and eat those.

Can you cook them, or make tea or something too?

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

Yes,the petals can be eaten raw and are sweet and a little spicy.I've never tried the red stamens,but they should be okay.
    Here is a recipe I found for tea. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Pineapple Guava Mint Iced Tea

• Susmita Guptapal
    9 years ago

Hello! I am at central coast CA and a big fan of guava. One of my Pineapple guava fruits a lot, the other doesn't. However, I found that some bugs ate the leaves and flowers on that second one. This year, I am keeping an eye on the second one. My Strawberry guava plant looks very healthy, bushy, 5 yrs old, flowers a lot but no fruit setting. I have bought it from Home Depot, and finally checked the attached label which said tree produce sweet guavas with dark red inside if it pollinates. So, I think you guys are right. This is out of place where the right pollinator is missing. I will try the brushing technique this year. Thank you for the suggestion.

• flatwoods_farm
    9 years ago

Susmita, if your fruit is red inside, it is a true guava, not strawberry guava.

• sandy_village
    9 years ago

I have a pink guava that is planted outside...but over Winter it died back during a couple cold nights...it's regrowing now but wondering if I should put it into the greenhouse and let it stay there? Advice and/or thoughts, please? I'm in Sacramento...it will get into the 90's and 100's over summer...with only a few freezing Winter nights...thanks, Sandy

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Please understand this thread is unfortunately IMHO, combining 3 types of "guavas" that have unique needs. Cattley guavas (strawberry and lemon), Pineapple (Feijoa) guava and tropical guavas. I think those with questions should start their own threads. Those with answers or comments should continue. Fortunately the posters have been pretty good in letting everyone know their approximate growing area and situations which is important in responding. Just my opinion. But not all guavas are alike.

• Andrea Cooley
    7 years ago

Hello. I have a pineapple guava that I bought at a very reputable nursery that was labeled "self-fertile" (may be Coolidge?). It is now 7 years old and no fruit. Flowers profusely. I tried to use a paint brush to self pollinate but nothing happened. Not sure what's wrong. Please help as I love the fruit!!

• HU-978362917
    4 years ago

My strawberry Guava also have the same problem. It produces white flowers not as seen in the picture. Leaves and every thing look same.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz