Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neworleans7

please help :) i'm looking to buy these heirloom apples asap

NewOrleans7
10 years ago

I have tried most of the nurseries I could find online...

Do youknow of any that dont show up in the typical web search that have dwarf or semi drarf versions of:

Black Oxford - Calville Blanc - Cox Orange Pippin - Sops of Wine - Pink Princess - Pink Delight - Ashmeads Kernel

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Comments (24)

• NewOrleans7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should clarify: I am looking for these as apple TREES, bare root or potted. The bigger the better Thanks!

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

You can probably get a few at Miller Nurseries. Also look at Maple Valley Orchard.

Scott

• NewOrleans7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

unfortunately they are both sold out- they were some of the first I looked at

• megamav
    10 years ago

If you could only get 2, Calville Blanc and Ashmeads Kernel are the prizes of those. Look at Kidd's Orange Red as a Cox alternative.

• Tony
    10 years ago

You can try Starkbros. Nursery. They got some of the varieties you are after.

Tony?

• NewOrleans7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Starkbros has just the cox and it is sold out

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Have you checked Trees of Antiquity And Fedco?

Patty S.

• waiting_gw
    10 years ago

One Green World has some of them on m26.

I got 3 trees from them a few weeks back. They were small but I'd rather have small trees that haven't been headed and have viable buds lower on the truck, so they suited my needs.

gary

Here is a link that might be useful: One Green World

• kandaceshirley
    10 years ago

Try grandpas orchard

• Noogy
    10 years ago

G'pas orchard stuff is big.

• NewOrleans7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the advice! I bought some red fleshed and gravenstein apples along with some cherries and some asain pears from OGW... they havent arrived yet. .. they have two of the other varieties I listed but not the rest... Grandpas doesnt have any of them, unfortunately.

Any other suggestions?

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

As of today Cummins has 1 Ashmead's and plenty of Cox.

Here is a link that might be useful: Available Plants for 2013

• NewOrleans7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much. I have been in email talk with Cummins and wish they had more of my varieties available. the ashmeds is on a stock that isnt for me.

• spartan-apple
    10 years ago

New Oleans:

David at Schlabach Nursery in Medinah NY listed a lot
    of heirloom varieties on Bud 9. Not sure what he has left
    but you can give him a call. Sorry but they do not use
    internet being Amish. They do have a phone but will not take orders over the phone. Always happy to answer apple questions and availability over the phone however.

• NewOrleans7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks spartan! I know the schlabacks and just picked up 15+ trees from them last week. Unfortunately they are almost sold out of everything this year and thus the posting I made

I just bought 4 trees from Burnt Ridge Nursery who were nice on the phone. Both Nurseries are very affordable.

I am still really looking for these three varieties in dwarf or semi-dwarf:

Black Oxford
    Opal
    Sops in Wine

any leads would be greatly appreciated

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

Is there some reason you don't like B9 rootstock? That's what Cummin's had the Ashmead's Kernel on. I also see Black Oxford and Sops of Wine on it at Maple Valley. I've got several trees on B9 and it has been a good balance between not too big and not too small (like M27).

If you want it on P2 or M26 instead, have you checked to see if Maple Valley can make you a benchgraft? It seems like they still have scion wood for both varieties and they do custom benchgrafts for $10.

• NewOrleans7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maple valley does not have any them- they have not updated their site in a long time, unfortunately.

Cummins doesnt list any of the varieties I am looking for now on their updated list

I really appreciate the help everyone!

If I could just get a BLACK OXFORD, I would be greatful. That and the new Opal are the 2 I really wanted this year, and despite planting 24 new trees this year, I cant find these two. (opal is liscenced only to certain growers and Black Oxford is just sold out everywhere)

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

St. Lawrence lists Black Oxford but they only use standard rootstock.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apples: Black Oxford to Fireside

• john_in_sc
    10 years ago

Just to put a bug in your ear.....

Keep an eye for Disease Resistance when look at those varieties.... Quite a few of the Very Old varieties have some pretty good resistance... but several are quite susceptible....

While Cox and Ashmead's are wonderful apples...
    Neither is particularly disease resistant... and will likely die a painful/horrible/early death if you live in the East where Fireblight and other disease pressure is high....

I lost my Ashmead's Kernel this year to Fireblight... The 3-year old tree died to the ground.

Also... It's worthwhile to get what you can get now - but the shipping/planting season is quickly closing... I think put together your good list and make sure you can start ordering as soon as they start taking orders for Fall 2013...

Thanks

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

Call Boyer and see if they still have Sops of Wine.

(717) 677-8558
    (717) 677-9567

Here is a link that might be useful: Sops of Wine

• steve333_gw
    10 years ago

Just a thought, St L's uses a russian standard rootstock, but it does not grow any bigger than most semi-dwarf trees. At least up in cold climates, not sure what it would do in warmer climes.

You might want to check with them and see how big their rootstock would get in your climate. It might fit your needs.

• NewOrleans7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

boyer is sold out, but I appreciate the new lead

st Lawrence had a deadline of last week and isnt answering their phone, although I believe I spoke with them a few weeks back and they didnt have what I was looking for in stock then

Still looking- especially for Black Oxford and Sops of Wine

thanks, everyone, for taking the time to help!

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

I just got a Miller's catalog. They list BOGO1/2 off. They list Calville Blanc, Cox Orange Pippin, and Sops of Wine.

The catalog says Mail and Phone Orders Only. (800) 836-9630. Prices while supplies last or until May 25, 2013.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miller Nurseries

• NewOrleans7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry they dont have Sops

Any leads on the BLACK OXFORD anyone?