Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jonagold Chill hours

Posted by Randy31513 Georgia 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 17:46

I thought I would post this for other South home apple growers wanting to try Jonagold.

My Jonagold from Cummins on dwarf rootstock in its third year bloomed well and is setting fruit with 660 chill hours based on accumulated temps below 45F.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jonagold Chill hours

Just a reply to get it to drop on down.

o

I bought two Dwarf Jonagold from Home depot. They are some of the best apple trees I have bought from them. Lots of horizontal branches. The graft on them is very nice and not buried in the container like most Home Depot container apple tree. I just read that the European beer company stella makes hard cider from Jonagold. So I'm looking forward to using them in the coming years for cider.

o

It will fruit on a lot less than 660 hours; a friend swore by them at his house in Santa Ana, California at about 300 hours. I tried it here farther inland but it was always mushy.

o

I read somewhere Honey Crisp would go soft in zone 8 as well but I keep thinking about trying it anyway just to see for myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here