Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planning new fruit growing area

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 17:50

So far I've been doing all of my fruit growing at my Mom's house because she has a larger property with more sun, but after clearing out an area on the north side of my yard I think there is enough sun for a narrow but long fruit growing area. I want to make the best use of the space and squeeze in as many different plants as possible. After looking at the area I've come up with a plan that I think is pretty good, but I wanted to run it by some more knowledgeable gardeners before moving forward.

I want to have three layers: a 6' tall single cordon espalier with one grape and four hardy kiwis along the fence spaced 6" from the fence, a line of blueberries in 3'x3' raised beds spaced 3' apart, and a 4.5' tall double cordon espalier with three apples and three currants that will serve as a fence around the blueberries with a 3' wide path between the berries and the espalier fence.

Here's a drawing of the plan:
fruit plan photo fruitplan2.png

And here is a picture of the space I want to put the fruit in:
 photo newfence007.jpg

The space shown is actually a lot more than the 39' I have in my plan, but the ends get too much shade for fruit and part of the area is going to be devoted to firewood storage. We are also going to change the gate a bit and put in a new fence to separate the front yard from the back.

This post was edited by peachymomo on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 18:03

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planning new fruit growing area

Which end is north?

Wouldn't it be better to put your male kiwi in the middle?

o
RE: Planning new fruit growing area

The fence is north, it is on an east - west axis with our property on the south side and the neighbors on the north.

I would rather put the male at the end because it doesn't need much room, I want the females to get the 12' wide area for growing. I have one Issai that I was planning on putting at the end farthest from the male in case pollination was a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here