Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning and starting this grape vine

Posted by ack01 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 18:03

So here is my first grape vine. I plan to prune everthing off of it except the tallest shoot I will than attach it to my trellis and if it touches the wire, I will tip it above the second bud. The trellis I am making is only to get me by this year. I am going to use t-post and rebar wire(stuff I already own) to string it up about 4 feet off the ground. Next year when I have more money and time I plan to use the standard 4x6 post with galvanized wire. I am hopping I can move it from one wire to another with out many problems. If anyone see any flaws in my logic please point them out hehe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning and starting this grape vine

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 15:00

Since you will have a temporary trellis you might want to just let it establish roots this year and make a trunk/canes next year. To do that leave all shoots and leaves this year to allow maximum root growth. Then next year cut off low and train the strongest shoot up the trellis. This option won't make fruit next year. But would maximize the crop in 2015.

But I also might try to make a crop in 2014. It will be small but your plan would hold out that option.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here