Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rabbit ate my Cherry Tree. :(

Posted by party_music50 z5a NY (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 18:05

Hello all -- first time finding this forum. I was just out surveying the yard after some snow melt and found my cherry tree all chomped up. I planted it in 2010 and obviously made a mistake when I removed all the caging this autumn. :( Every branch that's about 1/2" diameter or less has been cut off at a sharp angle, so I assume the rabbits did it when the snow was deep. It didn't leave me much tree.... basically the main stem, two branches off of it (forked), and maybe another piece or two here and there. What's left is only about 3 feet tall.

Is the tree useless at this point?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rabbit ate my Cherry Tree. :(

Nope...as long as it left buds above the graft line (if you can see it), you're fine...it will grow back. You basically just pruned it. You'll not see many (or any) fruits this year, but you'd be ok. It might look ugly now, but if you shape it as it grows (it will grow a lot), you can have a good looking tree again.

I chop trees back to just small 3 ft stubs all the time (did a bunch of peaches this year), and just left a few buds that i had placed... it just lets more energy go to those buds.

o
RE: Rabbit ate my Cherry Tree. :(

oh, wow, that's great news franktank. Thanks so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here