Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crazy birds... tiny fruit buds eaten....

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 18:08

Just noticed some 'litter' on the ground beneath the cherry tree...
it is bits of the tiny new cherry buds that the birds have eaten off!! Has anyone else have this happen? A few cherries have developed big enough to avoid the birds but the newest buds are the ones the birds have 'butchered'! The tree is many years old & this has never occurred before ... why now?!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crazy birds... tiny fruit buds eaten....

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 18:15

Ya, house finch and sparrows will do that if they are short on food and water. Mostly I've seen it on apricot in mid winter with heavy snow cover.

o

fruitnut: must be what is doing it here then too! Been a very early hot, dry spring here so maybe there is a scarcity of food for the birds ...I keep many birdbaths filled so water shoud not be a problem. Can't believe how they all of a sudden this year found the tiny new buds so tasty?!

o

They were all over my Seckel pear last year - a drought year.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 23:07

Birds are terrible here in my backyard. They eat blooms. They've pecked bushels and bushels of fruit over the years rendering it unsellable. They always peck the best outside fruits too. It's gotten to where I net every peach tree as it starts to ripen and throw some rubber snakes on top of the net. They peck apples too.

Of course we have to net blackberries, blueberries and cherries, or they will eat every one.

They even rip emerging corn plants out of the ground to get the kernel.

They do nothing (as far as I can tell) for insect control.

o

The birds did not eat mine some one else did. I had one of my fig trees in the greenhouse and developed a huge fig. I was very happy and bragging to everybody about it. When the temp went up in our area I took the tree out of the greenhouse for some sun: a huge mistake somebody ate my fig must be bigger than bird his name starts with the letter S.

o

My neighbor had birds eat all his peaches off his trees this year. He said he watched them fly over and eat all the small peaches right after tey were formed. Luckily mine are big enough now I don't have to worry about the birds.

o

I had this problem for many years, but this year I used Mylar foil and good news: it worked.

o

I think it's worst during Spring, for there aren't much ripened fruits. And blueberries are always eaten because they ripen in spring. For my blackberries, they also get gobbled up by birds in the beginning, then the birds seem to lay off after few weeks. In Autumn, birds do attack my fruit, but not so extensively, possibly because there are more choices in the neighborhood for them eat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here