Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pecan Seedlings - When to Transplant

Posted by scotjute z8a Tx (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 18:09

I have 4-5 pots (5 gal size) with from 2-5 native pecan seedlings in them. At what point should these be planted out? Currently seedlings are 4-6" high, assume the tap roots are that deep also in the pots.
Should I separate each seedling and repot?
Plant the pots as is directly into the ground and thin as needed?
Hold pots till fall/winter and then plant?
Or some combination of the above?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pecan Seedlings - When to Transplant

If have them in Pecan style pot the pot be tall this be good to allow room for tap root I would just leave in a tall pot but if not plant in ground now be best for tap root.

o

Repotted yesterday. The seedlings were from 4-8" tall. Roots were from 6-10" long. This is about 6 weeks from sprouting.

o

You should have nice plant by fall move to soil any day after Christmas until January 10th in your zone. That give time be well into rest stage for winter. And time in new planting hole so gain some rooting before buds swell in March.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here