Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pear scion on Bradford.

Posted by daemon2525 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 18:12

I won't use the original post. It was called "Save an old pear tree". It is a very long thread that does not need to be at the top of the list. However I wanted to show everyone that I got 2 scions from an old pear tree from my moms farm to grow on a Bradford pear in my yard.

I did not have proper grafting supplies. I used wax from a toilet bowl ring and strips of plastic from a bag meant to keep my Sunday paper dry.

I don't know if it will live forever, but at least it started!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pear scion on Bradford.

You done good, so I would say you used proper supplies!

o

I know someone grafted an Asian pear Scion onto Bradford tree and produced bigger Asian pears.

o

Daemon, nice work. You should replace every branch with scionwood, so that Bradford doesn't escape and become invasive, which is now happening all over our region.

o

Note to self: Add wax ring and newspaper bag to duct tape and bailing wire in tool box.......Marc5's words really are good counsel. Picking various other similarly-sized Bradford branches to graft and clipping off everything else would be a great way to have a complete conversion. Happy to see you had an "I can do this!!" grafting experience.

o

Congratulations on the successful grafting. I did the same thing a few years ago. I converted a bradford to a comice by grafting onto a ground level watersprout or rootsucker. Later on I just chopped the tree down and left the graft grow. Now I have a 12 foot pear tree that is useful and desirable instead of a lawn ornament. Ted

o

That's awesome. I have been practicing different types of grafts redressing neighbor's and friends crabapples and grafting/ budding pollinators onto pears. I had the opportunity to perform bridge grafts on 2 trees that were girdled. I used a whisp from a suckers. So far so good.
I'm waiting on my rootstock order to come in. 25 OHF97, 25Bet, 25 Krymsk1, and 10 M111. The only question is...Should I chip bud/saddle graft them first, then plant? Sounds like less of a back breaker.

o

Noogy,
Although I started the thread, I'll assume that you are asking the other folks if you should chip bud them first because I am no expert! LOL! this is the first try for me.

I don't even know what I did is called. I made a "V" notch in the tree part and the opposite "V" on the scion.
I did match them "perfectly". Maybe that is why it took me 2 hours and several trys to get it right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here