Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grape Trellis

Posted by thepodpiper 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 18:15

How long should a grape trellis be to support/handle 2 varieties of grapes (Concord seedless and Reliance). The design will be somewhat the same as the one in my other trellis post unless there is a better design for grapes, all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grape Trellis

I'd want a minimum of 16ft for two vines but have done with less. Don't recall your other post. But I started out using the four arm Kiffen or whatever it's called. Then I decided that most of the vigor went to the two upper arms so now just go with two arms up pretty high, about 6ft. If you want more grapes on a shorter trellis I'd go with three wires. Have the canes on the middle wire and another wire on each side at the same height to spread out the canopy. Potential yield is directly correlated to the amount of sunlight intercepted. So making the canopy longer or wider will increase yield, or eating quality if you limit yield by cluster thinning.

o

Thanks fruitnut. So actually a 16 ft. trellis would be great for one variety alone?

o

The general wisdom for bunch grapes is 10 space per plant but as Fruitnut said more just helps. The 10 foot spacing yields the most per acre and that is all the coms really care about.

For muscadines 20 foot per vine.

The triple wide top wire that Fruitnut mentioned is called a Geneva double curtain if you want to look it up.

o

Just chiming in with what I did with mine. I have a Venus seedless that I bought two sections of split rail fencing for.

:==:==:

Planted the vine along the middle pole and am training the limbs across the top and bottom horizontals. I'd say off the top of my head they're probably 8' beams, so 16' total.

This is the vine's second year and its already covered about half of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here