Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild raspberry identification?

Posted by tigergirl123 South PA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 18:22

We moved into a new home last year and during the summer we had an awful wall as high as the phone lines of weeds, vines, dead trees etc on one side of our property. The only good thing to come out of the mess were some wild raspberry plants! Last fall we cleared everything out. This spring, before we go any further, I want to see if I can identify the raspberry bushes, or if what I think are raspberries are really thorny weeds.

Anyone have any pictures of raspberry plants coming up in the spring? The things I am wondering about have very hairy reddish "canes" coming up, green leaves that have jagged edges and are very "bumpy" / veiny, not smooth.

If I can figure out how to post pics on here, I will.
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild raspberry identification?

The hairy reddish canes indicates wineberries. They are not raspberries, but they taste good. Your leaf description matches. Type wineberry into Google image search and you should get a better idea if you have a match.

Scott

o
RE: Wild raspberry identification?

Sounds like wineberry. They are Japanese raspberries that have naturalized in eastern US. Regarded as invasive as it will run like all raspberries but I don't find them hard to contain. The fruits ripe at the same time as my blackberries and they are very tasty for fresh eating or baking. You won't find the fruits at markets because they don't store well. They fruit on second year canes so if you cleared everything off last year you won't get any this year. But if you let the new growth grow out this year you will have berries next summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here