Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will I get any cherries at all from my Bings?

Posted by ponyexpress_1 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 18:28

Hi there. I have been reading recently that Bing cherries are not good selections for my Northeast area. I purchased two very nice looking dwarf trees at a great price and planted them already. I guess I figured if they were for sale here, they must be alright for the area. I've read that they are prone to splitting and wondered if I would get many cherries. I do have a compact Stella near by to cross pollinate. I planted the trees between the street and the sidewalk so they will be in front of my house and it's kind of dry there in the summer, but would rather rip them out if they won't produce. Any advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will I get any cherries at all from my Bings?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 18:57

You'd probably be better off with White Gold and Black Gold which have been bred for your area. Go to Adam's County Nursery and check out their selection. The Pearl series was bred in NY for your area, Blackpearl, Burgundypearl, Ebonypearl.

o

Pony,

A friend of mine bought a Bing Cherry from Lowe's 5 yrs ago. Like you, she thought it's on sale in New England, it must be all right to grow here. It still grows well but no fruit. She has nothing to cross pollinate it with. From what I read, if it fruits, cracking, rotting and other problems are still waiting for them. My friend is tempted to cut it down. Also, Japanese beetles love to eat cherry leaves. By all accounts, Bing is not for us in the Northeast. Our best bet is to buy Bing from supermarkets.

I am not sure if Stella will cross pollinate Bing. I have Black Gold and Vandalay. If I could do it over, I would go for White Gold and one of the Pearl series.

o

The box stores and some nurseries in my area sell bings too. Its a good way to keep up their sales. I had a nursery lady try to sell me some of the pearls and white gold today. I might try them, but not today. They were leafed out inside and it stayed in the 20's all day. Im a little nervous about any sweet cherries. Our frost come so late that Montmorency sometimes freezes out.

o

Don't know if Bing will grow in your area, but Stella will pollenate.

o

Thank you for all the replies and great info. I think I will be trying the Dwarf Black Gold and Dwarf White Gold as they also have a later bloom time and will have a better chance of getting fruit. I learned my lesson to not impulse buy trees. Oh well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here