Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can new transplants take a freeze?

Posted by ken_platt z5/6 CT (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 18:32

Folks - I've got 6 apple and 4 peach trees newly transplanted in the last few weeks. The apples are just starting to leaf out, the peaches mostly are still just sticks, one just has the beginnings of leaf buds starting.

We've got a freeze coming tonight - do I need to try to cover them up? Or will this not bother them? Thanks for the help -

Ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can new transplants take a freeze?

Ken:

I've never seen serious damage under those conditions. It would have to get seriously cold to make me worry, like low 20s to teens. Now if the trees were pushed into rapid growth for some reason prior to or after planting it might be another matter.

o

Thanks. I put in a lot of work (not to mention the $$) the past few weeks.

I actually ended up trying to cover some of the trees; I had cages around them, so I tried putting tarps, plastic bags, whatnot, onto the cages, but it was so windy that the dang thing were getting blown over, so I stopped. I figure getting knocked around was likely to be as damaging as the cold...

Ken

o

tx based fruitnut is overly optimistic for a FREEZE ... as compared to frost ...

i am glad you tried to cover them.. better the effort.. rather than the guilt of leaving it to the whims of mother nature ...

this week in MI.. we have had forecasts into the mid 20's.. we arent talking frost.. we are talking FREEZE potential ... and nothing green will appreciate that ...

i dont think we got that low ... but as i said.. better to 'try' rather than not ...

ken

o

ken:

West Texas gets way more damaging spring freezes than MI. I've been through many dozens. Not trying to be a know it all here but that's the facts. And I grew up and was educated in IL and IN.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here