Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looks like we made it!

Posted by Noogy 6 sw mi (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 18:37

HEY! My figs are budding! After putting them into the detached garage late November and having lows down to -12 outside, I'm surprised to see new growth. I thought for sure they were mostly freeze toasted. Stella, Chicago, lsu gold, brazeri, Maseile vs black, all pushin'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looks like we made it!

Congratulations Noogy:) I'm sure it was a relief. Those figs are addicting, over 200 varieties now lol.

o

My in-ground figs look like toast. I expect they will all be starting over from the roots this year, and I likely lost the most recent additions. I could have saved the little ones if I took the ten minutes to cover them, but I got lulled into complacency by all the mild winters we have had.

Scott

o

A lot of people in the north will have to start over. Guess the people that grow in pots and garage store had the right idea.

o

That's impressive, Noogy -- I'm sure that it was quite a relief to see those green tips! We had lows in the 8-10 range several times here in NC, and I've noticed some damage on some of my in ground figs that I didn't protect. The ones that I did take the time to bundle up appear to have come through OK, so it was definitely time well spent. My assortment of potted figs got several extra degrees of protection under a frost blanket, and that seemed to be all they needed -- they're a few weeks ahead of my in ground plants and are just starting to leaf out. So far, none show any obvious signs of die back.

o

My garage trees all did great (pluots, peaches, plums, etc)....now the outside trees should be a different situation. I think i can already tell i've got a lot of damage.

Amazing what a garage can accomplish. Must be a combination of no sun (at least in mine), no wind and slightly warmer temps (mine is unheated and is leaky...i plan on tightening it up a lot this summer).

o

Noogs this is great news! I'll send you peaches if you send me figs. Mrs. G :+)

o

Mrs. G,
Sounds good to me! I also really want to try some american persimmons after having ordered a bunch. How was your Raja this year?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here