Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_taggart

How do I train a muscadine vine?

m_taggart
11 years ago

I planted a new to me, bare root muscadine, approximately 2 years old in late winter. While dormant, I pruned away all but the most vigorous (i.e. longest) leader and tied this to a bamboo stake. I also pruned this main leader at a height of approximately 5 ft, the height of the trellis wire.

The grape is now beginning to leaf out and I am at a loss for how to train it to the wire. My main observations are two-fold. I'm not sure I am able to differentiate between a leaf and a branch comin off the main trunk. I know I should leave the leaves and remove the branches, except for the two that will be the main cordons.

Speaking of cordons, the buds nearest the trellis wire do not seem to be sprouting leaves or branches. The growing bud nearest the trellis wire is about 18 inches below. What can I do to facilitate the sprouting of these buds nearest the trellis wire so they can become my cordons? Should I be patient? Do I need to prune the main leader just above the highest sprouting bud, which will then become the leader and be pruned to split into the two cordons when it's high enough? I've included a pic to help you see what's going on.

{{gwi:87886}}

Comments (11)

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

Take a look at in 2 weeks then 2 more weeks you see what to do then.

I use cattle panel from tractor supply bend into arch drive down 4 real fence T Post The green ones with white at top. Take panel Tie on inside up from ground so weed under ends easy. Use Copper wire you may need stripe some out old wire to make your ties with. Remember Cattle panels are different than hog panels the cattle panels all squares same size. Don't get prune happy this year just weave runners on wire it should cover your trellis by fall you can stop runners as get to long this growth faster on other runners. Picking is best under muscadine vine out sun in shade vine. Two hand full fertilizer not double on each side and off from trunk vine each month with watering made new growth fast in zone 8 Georgia. Nice onion.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Gator,

Can you post a picture of the cattle panel setup please?

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

I try find one don't have a camera and my phone want load photo's so i'm resting few years. there are some on garden web I'll try to find them for your there about 3 year ago old wish me luck.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Gator,

Don't go to too much trouble....I just don't understand what you are saying.....are you just running the panels down the row or are you bending them?

• m_taggart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gator, I do appreciate your response. I do have a fertilizing schedule that I'm following. The first application is due this week.

Regarding the trellis system - what isn't shown in this photo are the posts I've set in the ground with concrete to support the trellis wire that the vine will ultimately rest upon. This means of support is the one which I've most often seen suggested, and unfortunately I have too much time and money invested in it to switch to anything else. Maybe I should have waited to gather advice from members in this community before selecting a system, but it's too late to change at this point.

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

This not one I thinking about but does show arch it to high in center for muscadine vine by about foot to pointed at top in link. What looking for easy walk under so top more rounded.you want reach throw wire about up to wrist for picking.
    I use this design because lower squares are good place kids pick just walking kids they work twins in family be 1 year old Thursday 18th party 20th not my kids Clara Jane and Lilly Ana just now walking, but hold hands up high to walk because of training steps holding hand up lol.

There to many ways to do trellis for muscadines for one to fit all. I picked 2 5 gallon bucket full off friends vines on my old knees the best picking was under vines ground was soft and rows was long a small deer was eating at other end long row vines underside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cattle panel

This post was edited by gator_rider2 on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 21:50

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Gator,

The link you posted does not work.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Gator,

That worked......so you plant one grape on each side of it?

• insteng
    11 years ago

I have wild muscadine grapes growing all over my fences at my ranch. The cattle panels work great for letting them grow up onto.
    I also use them in my garden to grow cucumbers and pole beans on. The arch looks interesting though I just leave them stretched out like a fence since I have plenty of space. I have never tried to prune any of my grape vines. They are loaded everyyear and I just back a truck underneath them growing in the trees and cut the stems off to fill the back of my truck up with grapes to make wine.

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

What happen I was given 9 muscadine plants they set by shop wall for 2 years and no care in pots luckily I save 4 plants 2 where dead in pots 3 very close to death so save the 4. Planted in ground in row 4 feet apart this test plot see if live the test plot became new home planning trellis system I used the cattle panels 2 plants per panel will add panels to make longer arches as years go by and trunks of vine get larger.