Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these really raspberries?

Posted by dougrosenbaum 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 18:42

A couple of years ago, I ordered some raspberries (latham and heritage) from on online orchard. Planted them and they seem to be growing well and look like this:

Unfortunately, the fruit they produce does not look like a normal raspberry - looks very small, and is very pulpy/seedy compared to a normal raspberry. When I look online to see what's up and how to prune them correctly, no raspberry canes look like this.
 photo Supposed_Raspberries_zps1230c1d2.jpg
I also have a plant that I got from Home Depot that was a generic raspberry, that grows nice delicious raspberries and has canes that look like this:
 photo home_depot_raspberry_zps7a62b339.jpg

This leads me to ask - are the red "furry" canes really raspberries? Is this a symptom of me never pruning them or are they simply the wrong kind of berry?

Also, at this point in the year, is it better to prune them or just leave them alone? They already appear to be getting some buds on them. I live in Chicago if that matters.

Thanks

This post was edited by dougrosenbaum on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 18:45

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these really raspberries?

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 18:54

They look like wineberries. They get attacked by birds, get your fingers sticky/greasy when picking and have nasty thorns. But, they grow anywhere (at least in my yard) and I like the taste, so there is good and bad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here