Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats going on with these cherry trees?

Posted by HappyBallz 9a-b (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 18:57

I planted 4 cherries this spring and they all seem to be doing great but I have noticed some "changes" the other day.
The first 3 pics show one tree that has this gash and seem to have a little sap coming from it. I painted them all with paint and I do not remember that being there at all.

This one is from a different tree and the graft looks like it got chewed on by some bug. What could it be?

This is from a 3rd tree that don't seem to have a problem except for couple of leaves that look like that. Didn't see anything alike in the internet. Signs of problems?

I am a newbie with all of this; so should I be worried about any of these? I understand borer can be a problem so I'm trying to catch problems as soon as possible. Should I apply some imidacloprid? I would prefer to stay away from chemicals but I rather keep them alive. Should I paint them back in those spots?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats going on with these cherry trees?

It looks like Bacterial Canker, I don't think much can be done, some trees can live with for some time.

o

I agree it looks like canker. It could also have been just an injury, or an injury later infected by canker. The dark ooze makes me strongly expect there is canker now, though. When I get those on the main trunk I cut off the top 1/2" or so of bark down to clean (no dark) wood on the whole infected area. Its hard to do such a cut. Then paint it with anything to keep the canker from re-infecting.

The leaf looks like sunburn.

The tree base looks just like it grew and cracked the paint. maybe I missed something though.

Scott

o

Looks like some kind of bacterial canker

o

Thanks guys,

I will contact GrowOrganic and see what they want me to do.

If they will send a replacement and don't need this one back I will try cutting it out. Will report back.

o

Good idea Scott!
Will it heal in eventually over several years?

o

I would at least spray it with copper or something.

o
RE: cherry trees?

The soil looks really wet also.

o

Konrad, I have so far not lost a cherry to canker and have done several major cuts on cankers. But maybe I have just been lucky. One reason why I do it is there is nothing to lose, the tree is going to die in a few years if you do nothing.

Well I just googled and several sites recommend cutting out cankers like I have been doing. See one below. It recommends to use a knife but many cutting tools could be used. I use a hand saw which is challenging to keep the depth correct on, it can go too deep easily. If you have woodworking tools there are many options there that could work well.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: cankers - cutting out

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here