Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shinseiki

Posted by foofght CA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 19:02

My Shinseiki Pear still hasn't blossomed. Anybody else have this experience with their's? The branches appear flexible and alive still. Yet nothing.....

We didn't get much for chill hours in So Cal this winter, but I would expect foliage growth still, yeah?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shinseiki

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 19:21

With inadequate chilling most fruit trees seem to eventually leaf out. Sometimes as much as a month or two late and then in scraggly fashion.

I had a couple apricot that failed to bloom at all this yr despite plentiful flower buds. They both have leafed out fine.

o

I have a one year old 4 in 1 asian pear tree. Hosui has a few flowers and quite some leaves. Chojuro and Shinseiki just start leafing out, but no sign of flowering. 20th century is still dormant. My tree is in the side yard with a lot of shade in winter.

This post was edited by sandiego4s on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 21:00

o

You can always scratch test to make sure but usually I don't bother unless the branches are not flexible or I note the bark is shriveling up.

o

What is your zone? Shinseiki Pear requires 250-450 chill hours and is rated for zones 5-9.

o

Good Morning Foofght.

My Shinseiki Asian Pear tree just started to leaf out this past weekend. No flowers, no fruit. :(

Not even close to enough chill hours this year.

There's always next year!

Jennifer

o

I live in inland San Diego. Despite the lack of flowers, can I expect the tree to continue growing? I would assume its growth is not dependent on chill hours.

o

foofght,

I am inland San Diego too. My Shinseiki leafs out late every year with very few blossoms. I get a pear or two and that is about it. After 5 years I am contemplating removing mine.

Tom

o

Thanks all for the comments. I'm going to hold out and see how things go!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here