Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilhouseonprairie

Care for crabapples, "fruitless" pears, decorative cherries?

lilhouseonprairie
10 years ago

My place had a few "fruitless" type landscaping trees here when I moved in. I've trimmed out shoots and anything I thought had to go. But how much do I need to care for these? Can they habor issues that can spread to my actual fruit trees? I'm not sure if they work as pollinators?

There's 1 red leafed/barked (cherry?) tree that we see a lot around here in landscaping because of the pretty pink flowers. There's 2 *I think* flowering crabapple and 1 other with small red berry type fruit and very spaced out branches with small leaves.

Should I be spraying them when I spray the orchard (i.e. copper in the Winter if I'm having a powder issue, etc)? Should I be trimming them each year?

Comments (2)

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Ornamental trees are usually better in the disease issue,..great to have and good in pollen source for other trees!
    They don't need pruning,..like open up for light etc. cut some mangling things and dead wood,..you should be fine.
    I'd let them be in spraying,..only do as a last resort.

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

IF you arent sure post some pics....

If you want some fruit on them you could cleft graft some desierable types on them...