Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprayng multi-year aged trees

Posted by Jim_9999 NE PA Zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 19:13

I'm starting to get confused. I have a small orchard of about 100 trees of all different species & varieties. Ages 15 years to 1 year. Every year I try to add about 15 new & different trees. Because there are so many different trees, spraying is a project. Different species...different problems...different spray programs. At least I enjoy it. Orchard is really doing good.

My question...since the trees vary in age, some produce fruit while others have several years to go. For instance, I have several apple trees that are producing fruit and I spray for scab. I also have apple trees just planted and others that are too young to produce for a couple years yet. Should I only spray the producing trees and not spray the trees not producing yet, or should I spray all the trees, spraying the non-producers as preventative spraying? Would spraying non-producers harm the tree or is this just a waste of chemicals? This question applies to all the varieties in the orchard (cherries, pear, peach etc...).

If I was to do this all over I would not have multiple cultivars of fruit trees, I would stick with either pome or stone fruit. Lots of different trees are nice but spraying and pruning all different sort of fruit trees starts becoming a real job. Every cultivar has a different spray program or pruning requirement. Luckily I'm retiring next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprayng multi-year aged trees

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 20:27

Jim,

I only spray non-bearing trees in my yard for things that could significantly affect the health of the tree.

Some examples are pear blister mite and peach tree borer.

In my opinion, it's a waste of chemicals to spray non-bearing trees for pests that primarily affect the fruit.

Sometimes I have some spray left over on my pull behind sprayer. In that case I use the leftover spray on any non-bearing trees I have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here