Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amycole_gw

New Blueberry Bushes and Flies???

AmyCole
11 years ago

This will be my first year planting any sort of garden. I had set out my plot and decided to make a berry patch in a row behind my vegetable plot. I have planted three different species of blueberries as I have heard that one should do this (Early Blue, Jersey and Rabbit Eye due to my research of them being a good option for my area).

When I planted the bushes, my soil was more alkaline so I added in some compost as well as product that is good for acid loving plants (can't remember what it was although was advised by the garden store to add this to help bring the Ph level of our soil down a bit) and planted them as suggested.

When I received my Rabbit Eye plants, they were in the dormant stage. It has been two weeks since I have planted those two and they seem to have not taken to being planted. I.E. They still look dormant and some areas dead as the twigs seem to snap. Although a few areas still look like they may possibly be alive.

I just recently planted the early blue and the jersey within the past day. AFTER I read that I need different varieties for cross pollination. However, I have noticed what seem to be Blueberry Maggot Flies or possibly Asian Fruit Flies on the branches of the Rabbit Eyes (even though they are dormant or dead?) and when I try to brush them off they just stay there! I have even noticed them on my new bushes that I planted yesterday and those are only first year bushes.

So, my questions are: Are the Rabbit Eyes dead or should I give them more time? Should I prune off what seem to be dead branches and if so how? And what are these stubborn flies? I am a bit confused because there is obviously no fruit right now but the pictures I have found on the Internet look like these flies and if it is them how can I get rid of them and in an organic way? Thank you so much for your advice in advance!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH