Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Blueberry Bushes and Flies???

Posted by AmyCole none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 19:22

This will be my first year planting any sort of garden. I had set out my plot and decided to make a berry patch in a row behind my vegetable plot. I have planted three different species of blueberries as I have heard that one should do this (Early Blue, Jersey and Rabbit Eye due to my research of them being a good option for my area).

When I planted the bushes, my soil was more alkaline so I added in some compost as well as product that is good for acid loving plants (can't remember what it was although was advised by the garden store to add this to help bring the Ph level of our soil down a bit) and planted them as suggested.

When I received my Rabbit Eye plants, they were in the dormant stage. It has been two weeks since I have planted those two and they seem to have not taken to being planted. I.E. They still look dormant and some areas dead as the twigs seem to snap. Although a few areas still look like they may possibly be alive.

I just recently planted the early blue and the jersey within the past day. AFTER I read that I need different varieties for cross pollination. However, I have noticed what seem to be Blueberry Maggot Flies or possibly Asian Fruit Flies on the branches of the Rabbit Eyes (even though they are dormant or dead?) and when I try to brush them off they just stay there! I have even noticed them on my new bushes that I planted yesterday and those are only first year bushes.

So, my questions are: Are the Rabbit Eyes dead or should I give them more time? Should I prune off what seem to be dead branches and if so how? And what are these stubborn flies? I am a bit confused because there is obviously no fruit right now but the pictures I have found on the Internet look like these flies and if it is them how can I get rid of them and in an organic way? Thank you so much for your advice in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Blueberry Bushes and Flies???

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 20:22

Don't fret about the flies they are likely harmless. There aren't many pests of blueberries and even if there were it won't be an issue now.

Your plants likely need more time to start growing. After they are growing snip off the dead twigs. If they have a lot of flowers remove most of them. It's OK to leave enough to taste but don't leave them loaded with fruit until next year.

o

Here IPM on flies Blueberry Maggot Flies. Stick Trays your best control.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberry maggot flys

o

To confirm if the plant is alive, just do a "scratch test". Take your fingernail or another sharp object and scratch away a small area of the surface of the stem or bark. If it is green underneath, the plant should be alive, just dormant.

As for the flies, they could be seed corn maggot flies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed corn maggot fly

o

Thank you everyone for your replies! I will try the fly trap just in case however thank you so much @Rob Thomas! After reading the article and looking at different images I do believe it is quite possible that they are corn maggot flies. Especially since they do not move much if anything when I try to swat them away.

I have done the scratch test and it seems that there are a select few branches that are alive. Yet, a large amount (especially the main branches) seem dead and snap easily. Due to this I am unsure as to what their status is. I do know that frost swept over our area since they were planted. Due to this it could be frost damage I'm assuming and if this is the case I am unsure as to what I should do next.

o

"As for the flies, they could be seed corn maggot flies." and few more Bean maggot flies, onion maggot flies manure maggot flies they do get around early early Spring and late winter.Moths lay eggs that turn into worms inside fruits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here