Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pomegranate will not bear fruit, flowers only.

Posted by kumquat1 8b N Fla (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 19:23

We have sandy, dry, acid soil. Hot coastal location. Do I need to add lime? Chicken poop? More watering?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pomegranate will not bear fruit, flowers only.

One Green World hasn't been able to fruit some of the Poms they are selling.(read below the title in the link)

Which variety of pomegranate are you growing. I have several hardy poms planted that are just a year old.

Here is a link that might be useful: poms

o

Well, poms like not so much fertilizer, kind of thin, soil of just about any pH including rocky soil, full sun and occasional deep watering. They mature in about 3 to 5 years (and then bear fruit), and will produce more fruit with a cross-pollinizer, but are self-fruitful, technically. They don't like too much fuss and are essentially pest-free. Do you know what variety or varieties you have? Are you sure they are fruiting varieties or could you have an ornamental variety?

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: CRFG: Pomegranate

o

On Nov. 9, 2010, I attended a Houston-area meeting of the Gulf Coast Fruit Study Group, where pom expert Richard Ashton gave a pom presentation. My sketchy hand-written notes include his statement: "Some varieties can't handle high humidity in early Spring. These don't set fruit. These are desert fruit." The fruit set here on the dozen mature poms varies a lot from year to year, despite having loads of flowers each year.I have Mae, Cloud, and (not so) Wonderful.

o

I doubt the humidity thing is as critical as the variety and age of the bush...

When I lived in Osaka, Japan, a very humid Zone 9 climate, I remember many large pomegranate bushes that would get loaded with fruit.

Even the tiny "nana" pomegranate bonsai I keep on my windowsill sets the occasional fruit, although this was not the case the first year or two...

In my experience, pomegranates tend to flower most profusely after a dry spell or some other stressful period, and perhaps less so under constantly favorable conditions, in which case they favor green growth.

o

Exactly, fabaceae. But, it could possibly also be due to very high humidity and a variety that does not tolerate such high humidity? Poms are a very interesting species - they have become very well adapted to the different areas they originated from, and have a widely varieable toleration for soils, moisture, temperature and other climate variations. Plus, being just about pest-free and providing a fruit that contains just about the highest amount of anti-oxidants of any fruit, they are a fruiting plant everyone should have in their garden! Maybe kumquat1 can let us know what variety she has, and then we can help them to figure out if this is a variety that will perform well in her area, or if it is jus due to being a wee bit on the young side.

Patty S.

Patty S.

o

Well, here is the long story: I bought a plant with a tag that had FW Pomegranate on it from a local nursery. After it flowered and flowered and never made fruit, I decided FW might have meant 'flowering', don't know. I moved off from it. Now my niece is having the same difficulty with one she bought at Home Depot labeled 'fruiting tree' (as opposed to "flowering tree"). I have always wanted one, and a co-worker dug up a whip for me. It is still alive after a month. Her tree is many years old of unknown variety. She said many seedlings have come up around her old tree, and the only one that fruits is the very top of one that has grown up over the roof and gets a lot of sun. Local nursery owner said today that gypsum would help it hold fruit.

o

• Posted by girlbug2 z9/10 Sunset zone 24 (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 10:06

Well kumquat I may be wrong about this but it sounds like you are saying that your coworker gave you a pom whip from a sprouted seedling? I thought poms were supposed to be propagated from cutings. That may be the problem right there. Who knows what you get with a seedling, not surprising if it's sterile. If you want to be absolutely sure you are getting something like the parent plant it is better to go with a cutting.

o

Thanks, I may go ahead and just buy one. What variety would be the best in humid, hot sandy area such as this?

o

I want a full-size tree. Dwarf seems too small for me.

o

Just Fruits and Exotics in Florida has poms in containers, see link.

One Green world has fruiting poms bare root, a little less expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Fruits and Exotics

o

I grow Salavatski and Kazake here in Pennsylvania. The Salavatski started flowering in its 2nd year in the ground and set a crop, it has been bearing for the past 3 years and although it's humid in my area it's sets a crop. It also took cold temperatures below zero.
There are many varieties that will set many flowers and don't set a crop. Some of them are double flowering, will never bear.

Bass

o

Ahhh, the one I abandoned was double-flowered.

o

I planted a beautiful pomegranate tree 4 years ago from a reputable nursery, tagged "Wonderful" and the seller stated it would set fruit immediately. It never has, and the flowers are thick, ruffly, and carnation-like. Does anyone have a double-flowering pom that actually sets fruit? It has grown and thrived so well, I'm sick that we don't get fruit, but will replace it if we must.

o

Is there any way to tell if your pom will ever bear fruit? I just moved into a house that has a beautiful pom in the side garden with TONS of flowers at the moment. I have no way to contact the previous owners and the neighbors are new so they know nothing about it either.

o

I am experimenting myself with pomegranates here in Florida.
If you want many different varieties I would say try and order from these people: http://greenseafarm.com/page.php?typ=13

I actually drove out to them since it was less than shipping cost for 9 varieties I wanted to try out.
Their prices are pretty good, they have tons of different varieties and they pretty cool to talk to. Seemed like good and interesting people.

I just bought them this winter so no results to report yet.

I also bought one from Lowe's that was labeled as "Wonderful".. this is it's second year in the ground. I had a developing flower couple of weeks ago but it either got git by a branch or just broke off itself. So no flowers for it either.

There are couple of other nurseries around Florida that have quiet a few varieties but I can't remember them off my head. They should be on the UF (University of Florida) pomegranate website.

o

Kumquat1, your pom is having pollination issues.

You could fix this problem by hand pollinating each flower; I had this problem with my own heirloom pom tree--it won't produce fruit unless I hand pollinate every flower.

Or get another variety to ensure cross pollination.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here