Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thornless Blackberry "Rubus Apache" ?

Posted by Centurion_ Verde Valley, Z8, A (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 19:36

I planted it last summer along with four other varieties, (Navajo, Arapaho, Ouachita, and an unknown).
It was the first to leaf out this March, is growing along the ground (trailing), and is putting out blossoms on fresh new growth.

When I looked up "Rubus Apache" I discovered it supposedly produces fruit on second year growth later than the other varieties, and grows in an erect shrub like fashion.

Any ideas or guesses on what this is? Could it be an apache?

At least it appears to be thornless....(so far).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thornless Blackberry "Rubus Apache" ?

I believe I have an apache as well if I remember correctly. It definitely trails.

o

They are erect plants

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubus Apache

o

Thanks guys.

But what about the blossoms on this year's growth?
I thought they all fruited on last year's growth.

o

Mine grows upright and vase shaped. Seems to only bloom on last years growth but I've only had it a few years. It is the best performer in my garden (also have Triple Crown and Navaho).

o

Was the wholesaler Duarte Nursery on those tags? The tissue culture clone those thornless varieties and places like Lowe's sell them.

The young canes are sometimes meek and fall over. Give it one year in ground the next year the canes will be stout.

If you bought the plants with a cane already that was last years growth, and it might put out a few flowers....

o

The plant was obtained in a trade, but the sender is reliable.

Just went out and took a better look at it. There was a two foot cane that, when I planted it last summer, I laid horozontal and along the ground and buried the tip to propagate a new plant. The blossoms are on 4 to 8 inch long new shoots that come off the cane.

I had thought that the fruit would be on the old cane...not on shoots branching off the old cane.

Is this the case?

o

Just to be clear, the flowers aren't on a new cane that emerged from the soil this year -- they're on laterals that are growing off of an existing cane (the trailing one you mentioned)? If so, that's what it should be doing. I bought five Apaches from Simmons Berry Farm last spring, and one of them did much the same as yours -- it flopped over on the ground and tip rooted. The others behaved as they were supposed to and grew erect, upright canes.

o

shazaam...Yes. Thank you. That is what is happening.

With figs...the first crop emerges directly on old wood. I was expecting the same from my berries.

So everything is proceeding as it should. Thanks again for you help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here