Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cherry tree - how much to prune

Posted by jollyrd Richmond VA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 19:42

This is a 5 yr old fruiting Cherry Montmorency. I pruned it to what I think is 'good enough'. Do you think I should prune more? should the thin branches on very top be cut? should any of the medium size branches be taken out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cherry tree - how much to prune

here is a picture from another direction -- as you can see, the tree is growing branches directed sideway towards north (weird as it may sound).

o

and here are the top branches

o

• Posted by bencjedi 6 - Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 22:35

I just leave all the tiny branches inside the inner 'core' of the canapy and lob off the thickest, tallest parts at the very top. I'm 6ft 2in and if I can't reach up and touch the top of the tree on my tippy toes off the ground then I cut it. Seems to have worked pretty good the last few years. My Montmorency has been in the ground 4 years now.

o

In my opinion, there really isn't a wrong way to prune...to me its all trial and error... if i take off too much, oh well..it will grow back...I was pruning today... For my sweet cherries, which are on gisela 5...i pruned that back to around 8ft or so, just so i can net them easier...i also removed a couple of thicker branches... With cherries, if you want fruit in my yard, you have to net..and in that case i keep them small... I'd love to chop them off at about 3 feet and ufo them, but i hate to lose out on fruit for a year or 2... With most of my trees this year, i've thinned the centers (more open)...just because pests seem to concentrate on the interior (beetles/curculio) and its a little harder to get spray in there...plus more light gets inside (dries it out faster/ripening)... we'll see...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here