Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What a difference a year makes!

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 19:43

I predicted I wouldn't get any bloom this year until May, but the apricots opened yesterday, April 27.

Checking back, I find they bloomed last year March 17. That's six weeks difference!

I'm going to be interested to see if ripening dates catch up at all, particularly toward the end of the year, the late apples that are supposed to be ripe in October.

This post was edited by ltilton on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 20:31

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What a difference a year makes!

Nothing blooming here...

GFS and Euro both showing SNOW here next week...GFS dumps a foot of snow across areas of SE MN... lol! Next week Weds thru next weekend look horrible...i hope most things hold off to flower until the following week..

o

If there's snow here again, it'll be my fault. I drained the snowblower

o

Where are you located, ltilton?

Snow in May?? Even in Ohio where I am from that is very unusual. The upper Midwest seems to be having a miserable spring.

o

My apricot bloomed first week of April. So the peach and nectarine. I looked today the petal fell and I can see a little fruit but I think my zone 7 is warmer than your zone 5. I protected the flowers from flower rut now I have to protect the fruit. Last year the fungi was unusual I hope we will fair better this year.

o

I'm outside Chicago.

Overall, I'll still say last year was more the outlier than this year. But putting them together makes for a huge contrast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here