Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaisersoze_gw

Black Leaves on Asian Pear Tree

kaisersoze
10 years ago

Hello,

Just recently planted this asian pear tree about 1 month ago and many of the new leaves have turned black. The branches do not appear affected at all, only the new leaves. Does it need more water since it has been a sunny and hot spring in San Diego, or is it fire blight?

Comments (13)

• kaisersoze
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close-up of one branch with black (dry) and green leaves

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

Did you not have a cool wet winter down there?

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Look around on the net for signs of Fireblight. It is a bacterial disease and Asian Pears are known for getting it.

• kaisersoze
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the replies.

We always have a cool winter, definitely not wet as we are well below the average rainfall this year to date.

I have looked at the pictures of fireblight on the internet, they appear different as they all include signs of damage to the branch itself and all show pictures of mature leaves afflicted by fireblight. My tree is newly planted and many of the new budding leaves are afflicted.

I was hoping someone could render an opinion or diagnosis

• ahajmano
    10 years ago

I think it is a deficiency of the I un established roots from providing sufficient moisture to the new leaves. We have had a week of hot and dry weather here, which could easily scorch the new leaves. I have had some pressure from brown spot as well ( caused the thick morning and persistent marine layer early April).

I say leave it for a few 'months and make sure you check soil moisture. If it looks dead two months from now, pull it out.

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

I agree with ahajmano, I have had several pear trees do this before they are established. I would give it consistent water and maybe even some shade to help it get established. The branches are still green and look pliable so it's not a loss yet.

• ahajmano
    10 years ago

ditto. Shade it from afternoon sun, I lost two bare root pear trees before i learned to put them on the east side of the house in a container for the first month or two of leaf-out.

• kaisersoze
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tip! I planted it on a west facing slope and it gets lots of sun and a steady breeze. I'll have to jerry-rig some sort of post and tarp to shade it, unless you have a clever way to shade an inground plant on a breezy slope?

• Charlie
    10 years ago

Looks like fire blight. My trees get it.

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

CharlieBoring, I thought it might be fire blight on my small pears but fb seems to start at the tip of a branch and affect the whole tip, branch and all. kaisersoze doesn't have the typical shepherd's hook. I don't have much experience with fire blight but I did have some on a really late blooming apple last year.

Whatever it was on my pears I found that easing the stress helped them get over it.

• kaisersoze
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Might be overkill, but I put a screen on the western side of the tree to shade against the afternoon sun:

{{gwi:88829}}

I used this elaborate setup because I plan to reuse the wood for another project once the leaves hopefully take hold

• steve333_gw
    10 years ago

I'd agree that it looks like water/wind stress on the leaves. My asian and regular pears show this on new growth, especially if it is dry and windy for a spell.

• pavel_cz
    8 years ago

Ahajmano, if you ever read this, please contact me at pkubele(at)hotmail.com

I would like to ask something. Thanks