Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple tree from seed

Posted by texasdad Tx (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 20:00

Hopefully a very basic question.
My 7yo old daughter wanted to try and grow an apple tree from the seed in the apple she was eating. With guidance she put the seed and a wet paper towel in a ziplock and left it in the sun for a week.

The seed is sprouting. There are now two green pods the size of the original seed and a short white stalk.

Now we want to place it in a cup with dirt and see if it will grow.

Now my dumb question: What side goes up? What end is the beginning of roots and what end is the beginning of a tree trunk? I'm guessing the green pods go down and the white up but that is really just a guess? How deep in the soil should it be?

Any other advice to help her turn this into a tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple tree from seed

Think tree: green leaves up, white roots down. There isn't much special you need to do, just the usual potting up as it grows and fertilizing every now and then. Apples need to go dormant in the winter so don't leave it in a room all the time.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here