Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with my newly planted Concord grape vine

Posted by wilsocn 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 20:07

Hi all

I just planted a Concord grape vine in my back yard following planting device that I found online and heavy rains have made the soil sink about 2 inches where I planted the vine. I am not sure if I should pull it up and replant, add more soil around the base to level it up or just leave it be. My soil is heavy on the clay so I am worried about this bowl shape trapping too much water. Will it cause problems with rot or fungus if I pile up more soil around the base of the stem?

I read one article that said something about not putting dirt past the crown. I am not really sure what that is but I did find a bottom 'node' on the plant which was just about level with the soil it was originally packed in. That is what I planted level with the existing soil in my yard before it sank.

He are pictures of my planting hole as well as the node as I call it.
 photo SunkenSoil_zps74d61f5a.jpg

photo Crown_zps037f823e.jpg

I also have a few questions about pruning the grape vine. I am not interested in optimum grape production because this is just as much for looks as for its deliciousness but I do want a strong vine. I will let it fruit next season but in the meantime I am not sure what i should trim (if anything).

photo Prune_zps31b82930.jpg

Lastly, this vine is growing incredibly fast. It seems like every day there is very noticeable difference. Is it already putting out grapes?

photo Grapes_zps93175f7b.jpg

Any suggestions with correcting or not correcting its planting depth would be great as well as pruning advice. BTW the vine has only been the ground for three days if that makes any difference at all as to where I should pull it up or not.

Thanks everyone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with my newly planted Concord grape vine

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 22:26

You could dig it up and add more soil. But grapes are just rooted cuttings so the part below ground is all rooted stem. I don't see where adding more soil on top would cause any issues.

Those are tiny grapes clusters expanding. I'd cut them off this year. You can leave a few next year if it grows well this year.

I'd cut it back to that bottom strong cane and tie it off to the stake for support. The young canes are prone to blowing out until they harden off. Wrap the brown part around the stake as well or tie it to the stake. Make loose ties so as not to strangle the shoots and remove the tie when it's no longer needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here