Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Replacement Sweetcrisp from FHN

Got an email from Shawn at FHN. He wants each person who thinks they got bad Sweetcrisp to email him with your name, shipping address, and number of plants you bought. I'll not post his email address here but if you can't find it on their website let me know.

Comments (12)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

fruitnut,
    Is it the email with "buell"in it?I sent the invoice for the Sweetcrisp I purchased along with some questions,two weeks ago,but didn't get a reply.I'll try again.Thanks,Brady

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Thanks, fruitnut. How shall we reference our email so Shawn knows we're from the GW Fruit & Orchards Forum??

Patty S.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brady:

The email Shawn sent me was FHN at yahoo.com. Spelling out FHN not abbreviated. There is also a contact message box on their website.

The bad plants were sent to me in May or June 2011. I'm not sure how much before or after things might have gone wrong.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Patty:

You might say that fruitnut suggested you contact them.

• iammarcus
    11 years ago

Is the problem limited to sweetcrisp? I had problems with Sweetcrisp, Herbert and Ken's Red Kiwi. The plants would appear healthy for a few days but then die.
    Dan

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dan:

Can't help you with that. I suggest you contact them with those issues.

• stac5455
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what to do about my sweetcrisps or emeralds because when I contacted them they said that the issue happened last year and I was not part of the mix up but my new emeralds have the same serrated leaves that my new sweetcrisps have. So I'm not sure what they are now. They were bought this spring. Are emeralds supposed to have serrated leaves?
    Thanks, Stacy

Original Author
    11 years ago

Stacy:

After this mix up I'm not sure if I have an Emerald or not. Also I'm not sure how definitive leaf shape or fruit shape, for that matter, is on identifing a variety. But I can say that none of mine have serrated leaf margins.

Why not try again with FHN. Your best bet might be getting replacements now while they are getting lots of requests from this post. You might have better luck just asking for Sweetcrisp since no one else that I'm aware of is asking for Emerald. I actually like the variety that I got that was supposed to be Sweetcrisp. Maybe you will too. It's way different, a much bigger softer berry. But if it turns out very early maturity, I'm OK with that. I can't really tell maturity yet since some got extra heat in my sunroom this winter.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

I purchased 3 Sweetcrisp last September and when contacting FHN yesterday,their response was,Hello this issue was isolated and not likely related to your issue. If they show signs let us know.Sincerely,
    Florida Hill Nursery
    So,I'll need to grow them to fruiting size and see.
    Stacy,I just checked an Emerald that was picked up a Raintree last Fall and none of the leaves were serrated.Brady

Original Author
    11 years ago

Brady:

Grow them out and see what you get. Hopefully you'll get the real thing or something you like. Sweetcrisp is worth all the trouble. At least I hope everyone feels that way when all is said and done.

• stac5455
    11 years ago

Fruitnut ~ Thanks for all the help. I just dont think they are going to help my like Bradybb said. I really would like to have an Emerald and Sweetcrisp since Emerald is such a good producer.

Bradybb ~ Thanks for checking your Emerald for me. I think I am going to email them and let them know about the leaves.

Stacy

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Stacy,

Emeralds do not have serrated leaves.

It is my personal opinion that either FHN runs one sloppy operation or they just send out whatever blueberry they have in stock and count on the fact 99% of people won't know the difference between varieties. When caught they do make it right. Just my opinion of course but after reading the thread on the banana forum with the owner of FHN being so dishonest I just do not trust the company.

Perhaps call the Florida Attorney General and register a complaint.