Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - Pruning to new leader following dieback

Posted by hungryfrozencanuck 4a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 20:16

So you can add this to the newbie mistakes list.

Got a lovely 3 year old plumcot bare root late last spring. Heard should remove 30% and had brilliant idea to paint trunk white. Yes I used matte interior latex paint BUT did not thin to 50%. Also that 30% haircut was probably just before bud break meaning I knocked out alot of stored nutrients.

Long and short of it is that the whole trunk died back nearly to the base. Man I was kicking myself. Anyways, luckily it was tough and was able to push out shoots through the latex. So now I need to train a new leader. Snow has just melted 1 week ago. I was planning on letting everything grow this year and cut back next year but what do you all think?

Do I cut back to an inch above the longest leader (3rd down) and train it up? Do I cut back to the top smaller leader? Do I leave it alone this year? Any opinions on how I salvage this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - Pruning to new leader following dieback

I didnt know pluots were hardy to zone 4a....... I hope the graft was buried under the snow

o

See:
http://www.whiffletreefarmandnursery.ca/cold_hardy_fruit_trees_and_plants_s/1819.htm

and

http://www.pepiniereancestrale.com/.

also:http://www.greenbarnnursery.ca/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1819
but greenbarn has had financial issues and really does not answer phone or e-mails anymore in my experience. BUT he has been growing for over 30 years on ile perrot near Montreal which is extremely windblown and frozen in the middle of the St. Lawrence. These guys are also doing apricots, peaches, ect.

So people are growing them and no, not always under snow cover.

o

Looks like a good candidate for a new leader. It should be fine. I like the branch on the right that is almost vertical. Tie it to the old leader to make sure it grows vertical. Remove those branches below it, and on the left remove one, and leave the other ever case your new leader has problems, you have another choice. But eventually you want to remove all other branches and form scaffolds off the new leader. I did this with a Neactplum. Leave the old leader on for now. Maybe remove it next year, but if any of it is dead, cut off dead wood. You'll be able to form nice and low scaffolds off the new leader. Here is my nectaplum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here