Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
animal in the orchard...

Posted by fireduck 10a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 20:17

I have a mystery guest who wanders through my orchard at night and deficates (poops) in my water fountain. I mean this is a serious sized (human sized) poop. Any ideas as to what this sucker is??? Racoon or opossum???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: animal in the orchard...

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 21:52

Bad neighbor?

Raccoon isn't nearly that big but they do like to mark their territory in that manner so it's possible. They seem to want to mark my lumber pile in an open shed.

o

Bear? That's the closest to human scat I've seen. A good sized bear leaves an impressive pile. Check for berry seeds in season. Hair in the scat could be bear but is more often fox or coyote. Bears rummage and turn things over, smaller critturs poke and pry. Large cats are rare in towns and cities. Bear scat tends to be squarish and canines and cats are more often tapered. Cats will usually scratch around their scat and cover it if they can.

Probably more than you wanted to know ...

:-)M

o

May be big dog. I am suffering from dog's poop all over my yard. They invade the trash at night.

o

Geese. big turds. surprisingly big turds.

o

thanks for the poop ideas...haha. Thinking it is probably opposum after googling and researching. Have seen them around. Back property is fenced. Eliminated the geese, bear, and human ideas. ;)

o

Opossum have human sized poop?

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 21:22

Must be a giant opossum!

o

1. Sasquatch
2. Man-Bear-Pig
3. Huge Coon (they like to do things in and around water)

o

Racoons like to pooh in my small pond. Nasty things. Mrs.G

o

Also keep in mind that any poop is likely to swell significantly in water. So possum is quite likely, even though they are not too big themselves...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here