Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riverman1

care for blueberry cuttings

riverman1
11 years ago

Guys I have a few cuttings that I did today and put them in small cups with peat moss.

Our nights are still in the upper 30's and low 40's and days in the high 50's. My bushes are just starting to leaf, should I leave the cuttings outside or bring them in?

thx.

RM

Comments (10)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

riverman,
    Are these cuttings that were taken last year and kept cold but not allowed to freeze?
    They can be left outside as long as it doesn't get too cold,like freezing. Brady

• DWD2
    11 years ago

riverman1, It does not sound like you have good, hardwood cuttings, which may impact you getting successful propagation. The Book "Blueberries for Growers, Gardeners, Promoters" is an excellent resource. It has a chapter written by Prof. Mike Mainland from North Carolina State Univ on propagation that tells you what you need to know to be successful. It is the best book on blueberries I have found. The link to get it is below. It costs more through Amazon.

Good luck with your blueberries!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberries for Growers, Gardeners, Promoters

• riverman1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some of them I cut last November and left in the fridge. The others came from some clippings trimmed off a bush just recently.

Last night I left them inside and put them out this morning.

RM

• blueboy1977
    11 years ago

RM,

Ive read somewhere, cant recall exactly where, that cuttings shouldnt get below 60 degrees. That being said, I had some hardwood cuttings that I put outside in a pot with plastic over it last Oct and they stayed outside all winter. It took untill March for them to root but all 3 have rooted and I potted them up last night! It can be done below 60 degrees I think it just may take longer to root. I would take them inside on cold nights and put them outside on warm days like you are doing. You should be fine.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

The ones from November should root,at least a good part.The recent cuttings I'm not too sure about,might as well do it,since they're already cut.
    I've read somewhere that once the plants start growing,they can be fed a little,with high Phosphorus content,like 15-30-15 or similar fertilizer, for root growth.
    Blueboy,I think that 60F mark is for softwood cuttings held over winter.I've kept my five in a heated tub with an overhead lamp all winter and am waiting for the outside temperature to rise and then put them in bigger pots. Brady

• riverman1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What is the significance of the timing Brady? Can you tell me why it matters when the cuttings are taken?

thx.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

I decided to try the blueberry propagation thing.....just an experiment. About 2 weeks ago took cuttings from stem sections that were leafless and put them in full sun in a peat potting soil mix, no lid on the container. They do have a overhead mister that kicks on every 2 hours for 5 minutes. I know 5 minutes is pretty long but they are just plugged in to the timed line that waters the bananas and my ducks. We shall see what happens but so far they have all leafed out or at least most have.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

riverman,
    The first information I read about propagating Blueberry cuttings said to take cuttings in late Fall or early Winter and keep them refrigerated in moist moss peat until Spring.
    Then I got to thinking about your recent cuttings and how there is not that much difference,except maybe the temperature is colder outside.
    Here is a link to Blueberry propagation,in it they say,"It is best to take cuttings in late March and place them immediately in propagation flats. However, often propagators must start early and store the cuttings."In the article,I didn't see why they needed to start early,although I didn't have time to read the thing thoroughly.So yours should grow.
    The link has a lot of helpful information also. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberry Propagation

• riverman1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good link Brady, thank you.

The only thing I can see that I did wrong is I didn't use one year old wood for the cuttings. I basically used what I trimmed off, some of them might be several years old. I guess at this point I will just wait and see, if some grow, great, if not, well that's ok too.

RM

• bennylafleur
    11 years ago

Riverman, 2 winters ago I took cuttings, put them in the fridge, In the spring I dipped them in rooting hormone, put about 25 to a pot of 2 varieties, no cover, just watered them plenty. Buried the pot for this past winter. Recently seperated them into individual pots, got 10 of each. So about 40%, good enough for me with the little amount of work put into it. With all the cuttings I have, all the extra work to get a higher percentage of takes is not worth the trouble for me.
    Also, when I pruned in the winter, I just put some in the ground beneath each plant, did not give them any special care, and got about 10% with these.