Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeycrisp apple scion stolen from trees!

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 20:34

Hi

This has been a tough winter, but fortunately my apple trees were not damaged in this harsh weather...until now that is.

My mother was pruning a crabapple tree (in the middle of the two apple trees) and she noticed the buds on the lower branches had been cut off. I can't believe that people would stoop so low and do something like this. I guess my neighborhood isn't as kind and friendly as I thought it was.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeycrisp apple scion stolen from trees!

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 20:52

Are you sure it wasn't deer, rabbits, or some other four legged critter?

o

I'm pretty sure. These are very clean cuts. I find it highly unlikely that animals make cuts like this.

o

I would suspect deer they make a cut like that. Deer usually leave a slight angle to the branch they bite off.

o

I've noticed squirrels also tip prune trees, usually on the upper branches, though. In fact, imo squirrels are probably a major reason trees have such nice bushy canopies.

o

Yes deer will make a bunch of clean cuts usually up to about five foot. They can also make some that are not. once all the trees are pruned they will stand up and go higher. They will only do that if there isn't food elsewhere. They wont work any harder than they have to.

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 21:50

It probably wasn't a person- they would have taken off the water sprouts high in the tree, rather than the low buds.

I've got the same problem on several trees, except none are over about 2 feet high. My guess would be rabbits, as I found the poop in the area. Earlier today, my father saw the sharp, clean angled cuts and said it looks just like what the deer did to him, except his damage extends up about 4+ feet and is far more severe.

My damage wasn't so bad- they just thinned out the spurs a bit, so I won't need to thin the blossoms as much.

o

Picture always helps.

o

Another vote for rabbits.

I thought the same thing a few years back when many blackberry canes were cut near the ground ... not vandalism, however.

Rabbits make a perfectly clean, 45 degree cut. Every small branch within 2' of the ground around here is cut cleanly by those critters after this winter.

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 14:46

yeah, sounds like rabbits, and if humans, better that they steal those and make their own rather than steal your fruits later on. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here