Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crushed fruit tree spikes

Posted by blazeaglory 10 SZ22 OC Ca (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 20:36

Hello. When I first started growing I bought a bunch of tree spike fertilizer. Well I still have them and they are great for nutrients and micro nutrients. My question is, could I crush them real fine and use them in the topsoil with my mulch under my pine chips? I assume they would still be slow release? I could even crush them up a little course as to let them slow release the nutrients into the soil? Would this be OK?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crushed fruit tree spikes

If you were to crush them up, you would increase their decay rate which would put the nutrients into the soil faster. So that might be bad if things go toxic.

It's like crushing up a pill, when it takes less work/time to break it down it goes to work that much faster.

o

Ahh so you know about crushing up the pills huh??...hehehe;-)

Yeah I kinda thought that as well. I guess I can try it out at half strength with it not crushed up so much and see what happens.

o

It just doesn't work that way, you can't crush them up a 'little' and expect it to be half strength. You won't know what strength you're getting. Always, always too little fertiliser is safer than too much.

o

By "Half strength" I meant half the spike. And by "not crushed up as much" I meant not crushed as fine so it wont "melt" as quick.

Not "crushed up" so it would act as half strength...lol

o

Indeed, that's how you get to the top at work, spike the water cooler.

Anyway, when crushing up time release things the increased surface area rapidly deminishes the time for full dispersal. So, theoretically, if you wanted to megadose some soil a while before planting you could do that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here