Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruiting Quince (Cydonia)

Posted by Asimina76 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 20:46

I'm interested in growing Quince for fruit. I'm located in central NC (zone 7-7.5). I have read some stuff indicating that Quince may grow as a bush or a tree depending on climate. I'm not sure what variety I will end up with, but I think Smyrna looks promising.

Does anyone have any advice for me regarding growing Quince in the South? Are there any pitfalls I should look out for?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruiting Quince (Cydonia)

Yes, fireblight can be horrendous. It was for me and I removed my quince. You can also have big problems with the standard apple pests, codling moth in particular. Fireblight is very sporadic, its not like codling moth which will surely eventually come; its possible to get lucky and avoid firelight for some time.

Scott

o

Thanks ScottFSmith. How about rust? Any thoughts on the habit of the tree? Should I try to maintain a traditional fruit tree shape?

o

Aromatnaya is supposed to be resistant to fireblight (though not immune). Scott, did you end up trying that variety? I recall that you've tried a lot and culled them all, due to disease issues.

If you let it grow as a bush, perhaps it would grow enough branches from the base to replace any pruned from fireblight. Then again, perhaps a tree form would have better airflow. I'm in WI, I can't really comment on growing them in the South.

o

Yes, I tried Aromatnaya. It was the only one that was completely killed by FB.

Quince rust proved to be horrendous as well. That was actually what finally led me to pull the trees. Its much worse than cedar apple rust in that it ruins all the fruits once it gets going. It can be sprayed for (myclobutanil) so its overall not as bad as fireblight if you are willing to spray synthetics.

Quince is somewhere between apple and pear in terms of growth habit, it can be trained to any of the standard apple and pear shapes. It will have only one trunk, its your standard fruit tree.

BTW I have some new quince, they are experimental FB resistant varieties from Bulgaria. They already are showing some FB signs so I am not super optimistic but they may be tolerant enough to keep.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here