Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry black eye

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 20:51

It looks like, instead of fretting about my apricots during the freeze period, I should have been protecting the strawberries.

But it was just the first few flowers, there'll be more.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry black eye

Same here...i covered them a few of the coldest nights, but I think one of the nights that hit 30F and we had a good frost did a bunch of the flowers in...they seem very sensitive to frost.

o

"Patchy frost" forecast again for tonite. With a lot more flowers open now, I'll be covering them.

I see there's another freeze warning out for most of WI tonite.

o

Going out to cover the berries, I see some new black ones just opening. Obviously some closed buds were damaged some time ago. Yet right next to them are sound berries.

o

I'm covering all mine this evening. We cleared out nicely today. I can't recall having berry damage in the past 5 years...a first for me.

o

A first for most everyone, I suspect. Who expects to have strawberries in April around here?

The only time mine could have been injured was the middle of last week, so the blooms opening now with damage must have been buds then. I never thought about them, then.

o

Tedious, I know, but is there any benefit to cutting the black-eyed blooms off? Mine got hammered but there are new blooms coming. Chad

o

I pinched them off whenever I saw them, but I don't know it does any good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here