Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cherry trees not blooming

Posted by rober49 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 21:02

i'm puzzled by my cherry trees lack of blossoms. this is the 2nd year in a row that they did not bloom. they are all semi dwarf & are mostly bing cherry trees. i lost the tags on the 3 non-bing trees but remember the pictures on the tags showing a reddish colored fruit. some of these trees are 4 years old now. 3 were replacements for trees that the deer rubbed all of the bark off of in fall 2010. oddly last year when we had a 13 year cicada hatch the cicadas mostly went for the peach & nectarine trees. they hardly touched the cherry trees & did not bother 2 pear trees at all. i have since wrapped the trunks with black foam pipe insulation to keep rutting deer from rubbing off the bark.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cherry trees not blooming

Could the much milder winter have been a factor? I know here in So Cal, we have low chill cultivars, many people got few to no blooms on their fruiting cherries because of that.

o

where are you

frost/freeze killed most bloom for me

ken

o

i'm in stl mo. mine did not get hit by a freeze or frost this year.

o

Many cherries require minimum amounts of cold days in order to set fruit. Perhaps with the mild winter yours simply didn't get cold enough for long enough for them to flower out?

Wouldn't explain why they didn't do it last year though, it got cold last year as I recall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here