Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow wonder Alpine Strawberry

Posted by wirosarian z4b WI (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 21:08

A local garden center has these available this year & I'm thinking of planting a few. Anyone have any first hand observations or experiences with them? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow wonder Alpine Strawberry

I have grown Alpine strawberries for thirty years. I did not bother to buy the yellow or white, as red have little taste but are very pretty and children love them. I would not bother to grow it for its berries but as a novelty. Mrs. G

o

I think Alpines blow away regular strawberries, but to each his own! Only used by the best restaurants. The whites and yellows have a pineapple like taste. But I like the reds better. I actually like them all. Yellow Wonder is hard to find, most places that sell it are sold out, it is a huge seller.

o

I have a yellow Alpine, and a red, got the seeds from Pinetree.
I think the flavor is very good on both, much better than any berry from the grocery store.

Benny

o

I also grew some from Pinetree seeds years ago. Taste was not much, plus mine produced runners all over the place despite description saying they didn't do runners. Had to rip mine out as they were so weedlike.

Pam in cinti

o

Pam, we must have gotten different seeds. Mine just make a small bush.

Benny

o

I picked up 12 plants today. Thanks for the input.

o

I started Pineapple, a yellow/white Alpine from Parks, many years ago. Last year tried White Soul and Yellow Wonder from Pinetree. The Pineapple taste is outstanding over the others and seems to have larger, tastier berries. The yellow strawberries do not seeds everywhere like the red ones because the birds leave them alone. They are great for snacking and make a good pot plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here