Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shazaam01

Spots on Blueberry Leaves

Ernie
12 years ago

I added 10 new blueberries this year, three Rabbiteyes from Simmons (all doing very well) and seven from nusery X*, including two Northern Highbush (Toro, Reka), three Southern Highbush (Sunshine Blue, Southmoon, O'Neal), and two half-highs (Tophat, Northcountry). Six of the seven from X are showing small red to brown spots on the new growth. The spots are very small in diameter (too small to easily measure), they're visible in both sides of the leaf, and they appear to be sunken (I'm inclined to call them lesions). They're most prevalent on the half-highs (nearly every leaf). My existing bushes are free of spots (all Northern and Southern Highbush), so I'm a little concerned that I've imported some kind of fungal leaf spot from X. On the plus side, the spots don't really look like the photos of leaf spot diseases that I've found online, so I'm hoping someone else has a less ominous explanation. I can't post photos until tomorrow evening (the camera is at work), but impatience leads me to go ahead and ask for input. Any thoughts?

*I don't want to unnecessarily slander the nursery in question since I don't yet know if this is a disease issue, so I'll leave them anonymous for now.

Comments (4)