Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spots on Blueberry Leaves

Posted by shazaam NC 7B (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 21:08

I added 10 new blueberries this year, three Rabbiteyes from Simmons (all doing very well) and seven from nusery X*, including two Northern Highbush (Toro, Reka), three Southern Highbush (Sunshine Blue, Southmoon, O'Neal), and two half-highs (Tophat, Northcountry). Six of the seven from X are showing small red to brown spots on the new growth. The spots are very small in diameter (too small to easily measure), they're visible in both sides of the leaf, and they appear to be sunken (I'm inclined to call them lesions). They're most prevalent on the half-highs (nearly every leaf). My existing bushes are free of spots (all Northern and Southern Highbush), so I'm a little concerned that I've imported some kind of fungal leaf spot from X. On the plus side, the spots don't really look like the photos of leaf spot diseases that I've found online, so I'm hoping someone else has a less ominous explanation. I can't post photos until tomorrow evening (the camera is at work), but impatience leads me to go ahead and ask for input. Any thoughts?

*I don't want to unnecessarily slander the nursery in question since I don't yet know if this is a disease issue, so I'll leave them anonymous for now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spots on Blueberry Leaves

Most likely it is fungus, septoria or rust or...there a few types. Just look up BB fungus and match the pics to your plants.

o

• Posted by DWD2 10a, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 23:53

shazaam, You may be fortunate. One of the world experts at identifying & controlling blueberry diseases is in your home state at North Carolina State University. His name is Dr. William (Bill) Cline. Since you live in NC, there is a high likelihood he would respond to an email. My suggestion is to take your pictures and send him an email. His email address is: bill_cline@ncsu.edu
A response from him would almost certainly be far more authoritative than anyone on this forum.

Below is a link to home garden blueberry info from NCSU that has some nursery recommendations. As an aside, the horticulture department at NCSU is one of the 2 or 3 best in the country. There is tons of great info on their site although it is not super user friendly. If I am correct, I think they have a duty to respond to reasonable requests for help from NC citizens.

If you are really into blueberries, I HIGHLY recommend getting a copy of "Blueberries for Growers, Gardeners, Promotors." It is really, really well done. Do not get it from Amazon unless you want to overpay. Get it from here:
http://www.agsciencebookstore.com/
They also have a book on Rabbiteye Blueberries that I have not been able to get a copy to look through to decide if I need it.

Good luck with the blueberries!

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Blueberries in the Home Garden

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked through images of various leaf spots diseases before posting, but, to my eye at least, nothing looks quite right. If it is fungal, perhaps I'm seeing it at a very early stage. My hope, though, is that there's an alternative explanation. I'll post some photos this evening just in case someone can identify what I'm dealing with. I'll also take your advice, DWD2, and e-mail the photos Dr. Cline. As a precaution, I'm going to quarantine the affected plants in the far corner of my yard -- fortunately, they're all in containers and easy to move.

o

I had new plants that showed these exact symptoms on a pair of Jewels last season, I removed the most damaged leaves after fruiting, and by August the plant was 100% healthy again.

Sometimes plants grown to close together in the nursery suffer these kinds of symptoms, I would not worry too much about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here