Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carmine Jewel� Dwarf Cherry

Posted by flexwebber SOUTH JERSEY (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 21:14

Anyone had any luck growing this tree? I've heard good things about it. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carmine Jewel� Dwarf Cherry

Mine seem to be good and healthy and easy to grow, which is good for me!!!

I initially had some questions as to pruning and all that, but I think the general consensus is that they're a natural shrub and would be hard to train to a tree form. I think some people are able to do that though.

But mine are shrubs, and I had a little sample of the fruit last year, but not a whole lot of cherries stayed set. This year ought to be much better, they've been in since '11 & '12 so this is the year I'm waiting for!

Here's a picture of the dark skin and juice of the CJ next to a bright red Early Richmond cherry

o

Cool man, thanks a lot. I think I'm going to get one. Staying a shrub is fine, since I don't have a lot of room for it! lol

o

Carmine Jewell have survived several years of drought, extreme cold and heat! This is what they look like right now. They are a winner!

This post was edited by ClarkinKS on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 18:00

o

Wow, I'm amazed how much further ahead they are in zone 5. Here's what mine looks like today in zone 3. Won't look like yours does now for another month.
 photo IMG_8486.jpg

o

I had no idea there was that much difference. Great looking bush! Carmine Jewell's seem to do great there!

o

I bought a Carmine Jewel from Henry Fields in their half-off sale, not expecting much, and it looks like it's headed for "tree shape" to me. A small tree, but it has a single trunk for about 18 inches, then splits into three branches, with all of the leaves up about 2 1/2 feet or more. It looks almost like one of those silly topiary ball-on-a-stick plants you sometimes see in formal gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here