Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinning Correctly

Posted by blackrag 6A/East PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 21:18

When thinning stone or pome fruit, common sense tells me that when making the choice at a particular spot, you leave the fruitlet hanging below the branch and thin fruit above the branch? Any reason to leave fruit on top of the branch? I have fruit set on my 2nd & 3rd year trees and am super excited... Thanks, Chad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinning Correctly

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 1:00

I thin the smaller fruit whether on the top or bottom. If it looks like a branch will touch the ground at harvest (with the weight of the fruit - in other words lower branches) then I remove the ones on the bottom so they don't touch the ground when the branch does.

For branches higher in the canopy, I remove the fruits on top of the branches more often because I've noticed a little more bird damage on fruits on top of the branch. I think it's more convenient for birds to perch on a branch and peck at a fruit on top of the branch. They don't have to bend down much.

o
RE: Thinning Correctly

Personally I don't know that it matters all that much if you thin on top or bottom, but I do know that a lot of folks will purposely thin all the fruit towards the bottoms of branches because they tend to be more shaded by leaves on the same branch and thus might not color up as well as fruits on the sides or top of the branches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here