Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wood chips for blueberry plants

Posted by matthew18 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 21:19

Is there a preferred type of wood chip to use for mulching blueberry plants? I have some 4 month old white pine and oak woods chips. Would they work? How old should the wood ships be? I also have an ample supply of three year old black forest landscaping mulch. Would that work? I was a little concerned the landscaping mulch might have hrash chemicals that be problematic or unhealthy I have now idea how they turn the mulch black??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wood chips for blueberry plants

They work fine for my 8 Blueberry plants. I have a friend who uses Pine needles and sawdust. I amended with Azalea mix to help lower my pH and use Sulphur to help keep it low. It is also good to add Vinegar to water to help also.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 23:45

There has been discussion of nitrogen loss due to wood chips-the soil micro-organisms that break down the wood, as it rots, take nitrogen from the soil, so its not available to the blueberry shrub. But wood chips, or whatever type of mulch you choose, helps to retain soil moisture and this is absolutely essential to keep the shrub alive and well. I am using shredded maple tree leaves, but I have no particular reason to think that this mulch is better than wood chips. To maintain soil fertility, I give each shrub one tablespoon of Miracle-Gro(acidic formula) in 4 gallons of tap water, in April, and again in May.

o

ericwi,
right now I have mulch of shreaded pine needles and shreaded oak leafs..they allow water to pass through and certainly retain moisture. Everytime I take a peak I find earthworms/redworms in moist soil...which is a good sign. Is it advisable to just leave it be? If the sole purpose of the chips is to retain moisture that is already happening with my pine and oak leaf mulch.

o

Your pine needle and oak leaf mulch should do everything you need. The one advantage of rotting wood chips is that they hold a lot of water which the soil will pull out of them as needed.

Oak leaves have more N and other nutrients than wood chips- to a lesser extent, so do pine needles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here