Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
frozen scion?

Posted by benfisher 3a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 21:20

I pulled some scion today from the crisper drawer in my fridge, and they were frozen.. some looked ok, some did not. I wonder if I should hustle out and get some new stuff? honey crisp which I wanted the most of, looked the worst? does it need to be perfectly green, or will a little green suffice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: frozen scion?

If you have more then go ahead and hustle. It can't hurt. I received fig cuttings when we got down to -20 and they were in the mailbox when we were out of town. They don't look like they'll make it but I'm going to try anyway. You have nothing to loose if the scion is coming from your own trees.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 8:37

Last spring I pulled some wood out of the fridge that was horribly freezer burnt. Looked all dried out and dead. It had been frozen at slightly below 32F for a few months. I went ahead and grafted with it, and it did fine.

o

I looked through all of my stuff and for some reason only the honey crisp looked bad. I think I'll take my chances. They would be frozen on the tree anyways right?

o

Right, its been freezing and thawing all winter on the tree. The only thing worse in the freezer box is they may have dried out more.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here