Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandond_gw

How much foliar riron to lower ph?

brandond
11 years ago

How many applications of liquid iron does it take to achieve green leaves on blueberry bushes.i have applied three sprays over tHe last three weeks. Thanks

Comments (13)

• brandond
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry I know iron doesn't lower ph.its a temporary fix.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Yes. You should test the Ph of your water and lower accordingly. Between 6.1-6.3 is optimal. If your blueberries are in pots it will be easier. But if they are in the ground you need to test your soil. Blue berries like acidic soil. If they are potted you can get a test meter for your water and buy some Ph down from a hydro store or online. For your soil in ground I think sulfur or lime will work and they say chelated iron works but I think it is a long process to lower your Ph in ground.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Blaze,

Why do you think a water of ph 6.1-6.3 is optimal? Personally I would shoot for irrigation water of ph 5. My well water is high and have decided to start using rain water and when not available to acidify the well water. Not an easy task as I have a lot of BB plants in 3 different yard zones.

Brandond,

Are you sure you have a PH issue? Sometimes in the spring blueberry leaves will change colors due to a cold snap. That could be the reason they are not responding to the foliar iron.

• brandond
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the great advice. We actually have had some cold nights, in the 30's. Its wierd though that only 6 or 8 bushes are demonstrating this as some other bushes are lush and green. I figured the iron in small foliar incriments was worth a shot. thanks,brandon. I hadnt thought of that.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

bamboo. I have never grown blueberries and was going off of experience with my fruit trees and a chart that I had seen that shows certain nutrients start to get locked out at 6.5 and under 6

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Note--sulfur lowers ph and lime raises ph.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Blaze,

That makes sense. Blueberries are a different breed and benefit from very acidic conditions and water.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

bamboo:

The report below from FL recommends acidifying 80% or slightly more of the bicarbonates in irrigation water. This gives an initial pH of acidfied water of 4.5 to 5. After setting two days that went back up some. Neutralizing 100% of bicarbonates resulted in a water pH ~3 to 3.5, too low.

Here is a link that might be useful: acidifing irrigation water

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Fruitnut,

I must be missing something.....I recommended to Blaze reducing the PH to 5.......is that wrong? I just picked up today a pump and a 300 gallon poly tank and plan to add acid to my water till it reduces from 7.5 to 5. If I am missing something please enlighten me lol. Could not pass up the 300 gallon poly tanks for $25 each.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

Bamboo, I don't know if 5 is wrong or not. The article above suggests 4.5 to 5. That's not low enough to neutralize all the bicarbonates but it's a huge step in the right direction. You get most of your water bicarbonate free, as rain. Sometimes I don't get rain for months so it becomes more critical when I must use well water all that time.

It is possible to acidify well water enough to damage or kill the plants. I've seen it myself. But I'm quite sure 5 isn't too low.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Ahh I was not talking about water Ph. I was talking about SOIL ph..hehehe

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

OOps I did it again...lol. I confuse my typing sometimes. I think one thing and type another.

So I meant soil at 6.0-6.5. Does that sound right? Either way Ill shut up because I am still waiting for my blueberries to arrive and have never grow them. Ill shut up now..lol

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Blaze,

Don't shut up....asking is the only way to find out and hey it is much better to due it right the first time.

No, PH 6 soil is not the best for your blueberries. At 6 or 6.5 the plants will perform poorly. Amend your soil with Canadian Peat and pine mulch fines....though I guess pine fines are hard to come by out your way.

Fruitnut,

Here in Florida we are very dry in the winter and our reliable rains do not start till after the fruit is harvested as a rule. The plants wake up here middle to end of February and our rains don't start until June so irrigation is mandatory. Our well water is ph 7.5 due to our limerock aquifer. I am very careful with irrigation because of the high PH....now I won't have to be.