Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum Tree loosing baby plums (picture of tree)

Posted by mrscoffield 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 21:28

I've got a Santa Rosa plum that I've been hoping to get a few plums off of someday. We planted it 4 years ago. This year we had tons of blooms and finally lots of tiny babies. A lot of the babies on the bottom are turning yellow and appear to be dying. I've been searching the web for the cause or problem but cannot find anything.
I did find some black aphid looking bugs on them a month or so ago and sprayed them off with water.

Near the top of the tree there are some green ones that are developing nicely, just not sure what's happening to the bottom area.

Thanks so much for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum Tree loosing baby plums (picture of tree)

They weren't pollinated.

o

Okay, is that normal to loose that many? Is because they bloom so early in the season?

o

Mrsc,

Do you have other plum trees that bloom the same time for pollinatiion? If not then you need to plan another variety that blooms the same time as the Santa Rosa.

Tony

o

I think Santa Rosa is self fertile. Blessing in disguise for you as you won't have to thin as much...

o

It's not so much that there are that many aborts but that there aren't any green ones visible. Even a self-fertile tree will do better with a pollinator.

Do you have bees?

o

Santa Rosa loves to drop in my climate. I didn't get any fruits until year 5, they all dropped like that. I had bees and pollinators galore. Now it fruits well but its 10 years old. In California and other more plum-friendly climates it usually fruits earlier and more reliably. So depending on where you live this could be a factor.

Scott

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 13:51

In California Santa Rosa sets so heavily that hand thinning was a royal pain. I restored to shaking the tree to knock off most of the fruit. After that it was hand thinning to open up the clusters. This was with plenty of other plums nearby and good bee activity.

Since she's zone 9 she must be in CA.

o

Thanks so much for all the info. We do have a red flowering plum in the front yard, about 40 feet away and there are some bee attracting flowers growing below the plum. I am located in southern california so I'm hoping a few years out we will have less of this. I'm so eager for fruit, we had a santa rosa growing up and they were wonderful fresh and my mom would can them too in light syrup, yum!

o

I also agree that you need a pollinator very close to it.
I have an AU Rubrum right next to mine. They both bloom at the same time, and I get tons of plums on both of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here