Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrscoffield

Plum Tree loosing baby plums (picture of tree)

mrscoffield
11 years ago

I've got a Santa Rosa plum that I've been hoping to get a few plums off of someday. We planted it 4 years ago. This year we had tons of blooms and finally lots of tiny babies. A lot of the babies on the bottom are turning yellow and appear to be dying. I've been searching the web for the cause or problem but cannot find anything.
I did find some black aphid looking bugs on them a month or so ago and sprayed them off with water.

Near the top of the tree there are some green ones that are developing nicely, just not sure what's happening to the bottom area.

Thanks so much for any help!

Comments (18)

• ltilton
    11 years ago

They weren't pollinated.

• mrscoffield
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, is that normal to loose that many? Is because they bloom so early in the season?

• Tony
    11 years ago

Mrsc,

Do you have other plum trees that bloom the same time for pollinatiion? If not then you need to plan another variety that blooms the same time as the Santa Rosa.

Tony

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

I think Santa Rosa is self fertile. Blessing in disguise for you as you won't have to thin as much...

• ltilton
    11 years ago

It's not so much that there are that many aborts but that there aren't any green ones visible. Even a self-fertile tree will do better with a pollinator.

Do you have bees?

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

Santa Rosa loves to drop in my climate. I didn't get any fruits until year 5, they all dropped like that. I had bees and pollinators galore. Now it fruits well but its 10 years old. In California and other more plum-friendly climates it usually fruits earlier and more reliably. So depending on where you live this could be a factor.

Scott

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

In California Santa Rosa sets so heavily that hand thinning was a royal pain. I restored to shaking the tree to knock off most of the fruit. After that it was hand thinning to open up the clusters. This was with plenty of other plums nearby and good bee activity.

Since she's zone 9 she must be in CA.

• rayrose
    10 years ago

I also agree that you need a pollinator very close to it.
    I have an AU Rubrum right next to mine. They both bloom at the same time, and I get tons of plums on both of them.

• Lorraine Miller
    8 years ago

I am now wondering if I made a mistake buying a plum tree. I do get some bees but after reading the thread, I am not interested in a fruit tree that takes 5 to 10 years to produce fruit, this is the first time I am trying to grow one, if I need to take it back I will. It also sounds like I need another tree

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    8 years ago

Your neighbor might have plums for pollination, or you can do a favor and give it to a neighbor, [share some fruits later] if your'e not will to wait some years, ..most likely up to 5 year.

• eastmeetwest
    8 years ago

Lorraine,

Plums take about 4-5 years to set fruit well. Some set since year 3 but not many fruit.

Generally speaking, It's European pears that some may take up to 8-10 years to bear.

Have you heard planting pears for your heirs? It takes much longer than other common fruit trees.

• Kevin Reilly
    8 years ago

Not sure your climate Lorraine, here in CA plum trees give you a few fruit 2nd year, more the 3rd, goes up from there.

• Lorraine Miller
    8 years ago

Live in zone 9 south Carolina, I like the 2nd ,3rd year, however concerned about the pollination of the fruit

• eastmeetwest
    8 years ago

Many plums need cross pollination or are more productive with it.

You need to figure out if your area has enough chill hours for the plum you bought. Do not assume that your local Home Depot or even a local nursery carries fruit trees with appropriate chill hours.

Many carry what they think people would buy like popular varieties instead of what will do well,

• Lorraine Miller
    8 years ago

Thank you hadn't thought about chill hours. I do know we get cool evenings.

• Jason (Zone 10b, San Diego)
    8 years ago

Lorraine, I'm in the same boat. I live in San Diego and have a dwarf Santa Rosa plum tree that I've had at least 4 years. This is the first year that I've had a significant amount of blossoms set fruit (although last year I moved the tree from a pot to in the ground a bit late in the year, losing almost all of my blossoms). Some of the lower ones are yellowing and will probably fall off. I've got my fingers crossed for this year.

• tim45z10
    8 years ago

Santa Rosa plums require a pollinator, as previously mentioned.

Mine only requires 100 chill hours. That is 100 accumulated hours between 32-45 degrees.

almost all fruit trees will not fruit the first few years.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting