Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This Doesn't Look Like 'Flat Wonderful' Peento Peach to Me

Posted by hoosierquilt z10a/23 Vista Calif (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 21:32

Okay. So, this may be my first identified mislabeled tree. Here are some photos of what is supposed to be 'Flat Wonderful' Peento peach tree. All the leaves are dark purple. From all the images I can find of 'Flat Wonderful', I don't see that it has purple leaves. It is a peach or nectarine, but not sure it's going to set fruit this year, so no way to ID via the fruit (which would be a bit of a giveaway). So, here are the photos. What do you think? Does 'Flat Wonderful' start out with dark purple leaves that might turn green as they mature??

photo IMG_2288_zps58fc2c3a.jpg

photo IMG_2289_zps765b79f8.jpg

photo IMG_2290_zpsa61512bd.jpg

Patty S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This Doesn't Look Like 'Flat Wonderful' Peento Peach to Me

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 21:52

" Does 'Flat Wonderful' start out with dark purple leaves that might turn green as they mature?? "

Yes Patti, they start out red and as the summer progresses, turn green. As far as I can tell from your pic, the flower looks like Flat Wonderful too. Very showy flowers. Mine's in full bloom now. Out of about 30 peach varieties, it was the first to bloom.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 21:52

Looks like a Spice Zee nectaplum. Any chance your supplier sells those?

The other possibility is that it's a rootstock.

o

looks just like my 2nd year tree

o

It also looks like my Flat Wonderful. I have most of my stone fruits blooming now, its a compressed season with everything overlapping.

Scott

o

Yup...all my young leaves are red..

o

Thanks, all. Fruitnut, that's what I thought at first, two, but I bought this from Gurney's, and they don't carry DWN trees. But, since Olpea and strudeldog both have 'Flat Wonderful' and confirm it's red to start with, then turns green. Like Spicezee. Yes, Olpea, the flowers were beautiful and very showy. So, hopefully I'll get a few fruits this year. I have it as being self-fruitful?

Patty S.

o

Thanks, Frank & Scott. Very lucky to so far - knock on wood - it appears that all my 70 or so stone fruits & pomes look to be true to the cultivar I purchased.

Patty S.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 22:42

" I have it as being self-fruitful?"

I would very much expect it to be self-fruitful. This tree is in my backyard where I have 30-35 peach trees, so I can't confirm by experience that it's self-fruitful (since there is ample opportunity for cross pollination) but almost all peach trees are self-fruitful. J.H. Hale, some of it's crosses, and a few of the antique varieties are about the only ones I know of that require a pollenizer.

o

I figured it would be, being a peach, but wanted to double check since it's a bit unusual. I hope it is as flavorful for me in S. Calif., as it is for others. There is another flat peach that fruitnut was able to get, that is supposed to be really excellent, Tang-O I think? Curious to see how all my flat peaches do this year. Sweet Bagel was excellent for me last year.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here