Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

Hard freeze again this weekend?

franktank232
11 years ago

Just a heads up for some of you in the midwest/lakes... weather models showing what would probably be a hard freeze in this area this weekend...and maybe some snow too. Looks like i'll have to pull the blankets, sheets back out again.

Comments (18)

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Ouch, sorry to hear that man, really am.

We're getting a cold spell down here right now, but we aren't scheduled to go below 40, and we'll be back up to lows in the 50-60 range as of tomorrow night.

Hope everything comes out okay up there.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

We're supposed to get 39 degrees in RI tomorrow night. But right now, the wind is really blowing. 'Back end of the front'. Uncle! Sorry about the cold spell Frank, that really hurts. Mrs. G

• dmtaylor
    11 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. Luckily by the big lakeshore it looks like the lowest we'll get here again is about 30 F on Sunday morning. We've been really lucky here with all the freeze scares. Hasn't gotten below 28 F at all here since the first week of March!! Although neither has it gotten above about 58 F. My Cortland tree is the only one with true leaves and tight pink so far, the rest of my trees are still less than 1/2-inch green, so I think I'll be alright here. They don't call Two Rivers the Cool City for nothing. The lake keeps us warmer when things cool down, and cooler when things heat up. I might need to bring in some of the potted plants though.

Best of luck to those of you in less fortunate locations. Hopefully this is the last of the freeze scares for the year (fingers crossed!).

• ltilton
    11 years ago

That's what I thought after yesterday morning.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    11 years ago

12z GFS shows 25F or 26F here this weekend...warmer then previous runs. Looks like no snow around these parts. I still think its coming in too cold. That would be record breaking...lack of snowcover anywhere near here, longer days and warmer soils should limit the cold ...but who knows.

Later on its shows summer coming back around May 4th...

• denninmi
    11 years ago

This weather is getting on my nerves. So far, I think I have crops on most plants. As stated previously, kiss kiwi and mulberry goodbye (I may have lucked out with my one IE mulberry, it's in afternoon shade and sheltered, and seems delayed with green buds still. Strawberries are slowly opening and getting black eyes, but there are always the day neutrals later.

• athenainwi
    11 years ago

Well, I already lost all my apricots. I'm not sure when or how or why as I was busy the last 5 days, but the leaves show freeze damage and all the baby apricots are gone. I've got a bunch of roses with freeze damage too, so one of the last couple of freezes must have been worse than I realized. I've got a few plums developing but not enough to bother protecting.

• camp10
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what to think about my fruit trees. (I'm in southern Wis) The apples started flowering almost a month ago...and have kinda stayed that way. They still have some spent flowers and still some blossoms that haven't opened. I'd like to do my 'petal drop' spray, but they don't seem to want to complete the cycle.

My neighbor says that his fruit trees haven't blossomed at all. But they are younger trees.

I'm not sure what to think about this year.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    11 years ago

I should know better than to disagree with your Midwest forecast. Our local forecast says 39F Friday, and 37F Saturday, so we should be fine.

Sorry I didn't get you pictures of my broken tree. Two of its four main branches were destroyed by the water and ice from the sprinkler. I had two main branches left. I have two smaller trees, too which were not permanently damaged.

I have several little peaches on the Reliance tree on which half the tree broke off. They are higher up on the tree.

I have one or two peaches that have set on my second year Contender, and none set on my third year Red Haven.

Based on these observations, two pieces of advice I have for Midwesterners growing peaches. Reliance has the most hardy blossoms of these three trees. They all had good blossom sets, but Reliance had some that survived hard freezes down to 25F.

Second, don't order dwarf or semi-dwarf. If you have a freeze during blossoming the fruit at top of a standard might yet set.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Accuweather calls for about 25 early Sun am which could pretty much wipe out everything, I guess. The Weather Channel and Weather Underground predict temps about 5 degrees higher which would be fine.

Worrying just wastes energy so I'll wait and see. If the charts were accurate I would have already lost all my crop but so far peaches and pomes have survived colder temps than should be possible according to expert opinion. I've even got a few apricots that survived 24 degrees when past full bloom.

• Randy31513
    11 years ago

This year is so strange, down here they are saying mid 90s

• ltilton
    11 years ago

Accuweather forecast lows for my location have been about 5 degrees too high all month. According to the reports this morning, it hit 27 at 3 am.

• canadianplant
    11 years ago

Up in NW ontario, we still get some light freezes. -4C isnt unheard of, but the average low in april is roughly -3C. THe last few nignts have ben predicted to go below -5C, and when I wake up at 6 am, they are a few degrees higher.

Tonight is forcast to be -9C by the canadian weather network, while the american weather channel is saying -3C. Ill go in the middle, and say -5C, which isnt relatively bad here. -9C would be a record low.

• brookw_gw
    11 years ago

Here, we've lost most if not all of our grapes. Peach damage was minimal (maybe 20%), which actually helped w/the thinning. Apple,cherry,pear, and plum set was decent as is the crop of blueberries and gooseberries. Black and red raspberries are acceptable, but the blackberries are out of control. They apparently love this weather and have set an unholy amount of fruit.

• Dan.NY
    11 years ago

Forcast to hit 28 tonight for me. Tomorrow and sunday low of 31. I am hoping somehow my Reliance peaches hold on.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Dodged yet another bullet in Metro Detroit. They said 28 for me, but it was cloudy in the middle of the night, another one of those stratocumulus decks off of Lake Huron drifting down from the thumb of Michigan. Only got to 33 at my local reporting station.

Next week, they say warmer. I hope they're right, this is getting old.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Peaches should be fine. Mine took 26F and I don't think I ever did find freeze damage.

Dennis_
    After this it looks to be about done. GFS this afternoon showing some upper 70Fs and warm nites. Going to have to get a spray in on Mon or Tues me thinks. PC will be going nuts by the end of next week.

• ltilton
    11 years ago

I have a window box on the porch where I grow a few herb plants for convenient picking. Half of them are perennials, but I just put in a basil plant earlier in the week. I figured it was protected on the porch, but I looked at it today, and it was all black. That was a freeze.