Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
space to mow between rows

Posted by mikect05 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 21:41

Hi, we just bought a new home with a few nice open acres, so we will be planting rows of blueberries, blackberries and raspberries, with elderberries to follow. We will also be planting some fruit trees.

The field is quite soggy many times during the year, so I plan on building up the rows to keep the roots dryer.
My question is what spacing should I have between rows? I want to be able to drive either a 5' or 6' finish mower between the rows. so basically if I leave 6.5' between rows that would be good, but how wide should my beds be so that they don't overgrow into my rows and inhibit me from fitting the mower through.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: space to mow between rows

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 12:16

I'd say 12 ft row spacing minimum and perhaps 15ft better. That would make a roughly 6-8ft raised bed. In soggy soil raised beds are a good idea.

o

thanks is that a good spacing for blackberries, blueberries and raspberries?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 15:27

That's about how wide my berry plants have been. I guess if they were really thorny you might want narrower to reach the middle. But with pruning and training you can make anything in the 4-8ft range work.

o

yea I was thinking our triple crown blackberries were about 5' wide, wouldn't really want them much wider than that because they grew so tall. Raspberries I am thinking of keeping them around 5' as well for the thorns. I ordered some raspberry plants and some root stock, any suggestion on how far apart to plant my raspberries? I am thinking of spacing them maybe 6' so that I can fill in later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here