Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bare root blackberries

Posted by sara82lee 8a SE Va (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 21:48

I bought four bare root raspberries (2 each from 2 different places) and two blackberries (1 each from 2 different places). This is my first experience with bare root plants (although I also bought seven bare root roses this spring and all are putting out leaves!). I put the berries in the ground about six weeks ago, but didn't put anything special on the roots. All of my raspberries have started to put out leaves, but I haven't seen any signs of life from either blackberry. They just look like sticks in the ground. Do blackberries take longer to "wake up" in the spring than raspberries do? Should I just have a bit more patience, or are they probably dead?

Thanks! Sara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bare root blackberries

Blackberries do take a lot longer. Raspberries are some of the first plants to leaf out in the spring. Blackberries are some of the last. Give it another month or more, I'm sure they're fine.

o

I have purchased at least 40-50 bareroot blackberry and raspberry plants in the last year and I generally see at least a 10-20% failure rate. The potted plants have all lived so far out of about 25 or so. Given your warmer climate, you should see something soon or I would see if you can get some replacements.

o

That stick on blackberry plants called handle its used to plant the plant that all good for, but does give mark where plant is. on bare root blackberry first year they are slow to send out new growth from crown just like Rose I would give them 2 more months before make call them dead.
Planting crown 2 inches under ground is good method transplanting.

o

Thanks everybody. I'm definitely more hopeful now . . . I don't think I could get any replacements at this point, though perhaps my money back, but they weren't that expensive anyway. But it seems like it might be more likely than I thought that they aren't dead. I will wait awhile longer :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here